Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Player Screen Recording Lags my Computer

Whenever I use QuickTime's screen recorder for games, it lags itself, and the game out.I have OS X Yosemite on a 2011 iMac. It has 4 GB of RAM and a Daul-Core 2.8 GHz Intel i5. The computer also has a 1 TB hard drive. I don't think its a hardware issue. I usually quit all applications that I don't need.

Is there anything I can do make QuickTime Player (Version 10.4) less resource-demanding so I can record at a reasonable framerate?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:45 AM

Bump...

(No, this didn't solve my issue).

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 8:45 AM in response to mpconnel

1st, think of what you are doing... you are "performing" for an audience (albeit a later audience, a performance nonetheless) - so, you should prepare as if you will be in front a room full of people:

• start up your Mac from OFF - every time
  • turn off anything that automatically loads - ( Login Items )
  • Launch your performance piece - the Game
  • Launch QT and prepare it to 'start recording'

clean start, only apps necessary running

next, 4GB RAM seems to be the "actual" MINIMUM - as opposed to the "2GB minimum REQUIREMENT" for installed RAM. I have seen many here - without hesitation - suggest that a "RECOMMENDED minimum" is 8GB. RAM usage, disk space usage & 'gases in a chamber' - all 'expand to fill the available space.'

You can "watch" what is actually being consumed in system resources with Activity Monitor.app - its many reporting tools and sort filters should let you see exactly what is happening at any given moment

It is "Show Business" - don't 'perform' your show spontaneously.

QuickTime Player Screen Recording Lags my Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.