Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If an Apple Imac is 6 years old and the repair of a video card and the LCD is going to cost 1/3 as much as a new computer, what's the call?

My 27" 2009 iMac has a video card on the fritz and the LCD needs to be replaced. Total cost: $751.00.

A new Mac, similarly equipped, costs a little more than $2000. What would savvy apple users do in this instance. I wait for your opinions.....

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 6:16 PM

New iMac.

10 replies

Jul 28, 2015 6:27 PM in response to JJGordon1953

The call is yours but my vote is a new Mac. You can buy a refurbished iMac from Apple, these have no downside. They are identical to new, have the same warranty as new, are eligible for AppleCare and can save hundreds! If you are in the USA, click

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

If you don't find one you like, check frequently because they are constantly updating the site. If you see one you want, don't wait, pull the trigger for the same reason.

Jul 29, 2015 3:08 AM in response to JJGordon1953

Buy a new iMac or refurbished iMac from Apple.

Also, for the price of the repair, you can find a later

model used one. Of course, you should only consider if

you can personally inspect/test/use the item that interests

you. Buying one sight unseen from Ebay or similar is a very

chancy proposition.

Personally, if the budget can handle it, get a brand new one.

Jul 29, 2015 6:41 AM in response to JJGordon1953

JJGordon1953 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Is there really a market on eBay for 6 year old iMacs that need a new video card and a new LCD?!! Also noticed that the refurnished units from apple are only a few hundred bucks less than new ones. Most start at 1600 to 1700 bucks. New ones seem to be 2100 to 2200

That's right, you save several hundred dollars by choosing a refurbished unit.

If an Apple Imac is 6 years old and the repair of a video card and the LCD is going to cost 1/3 as much as a new computer, what's the call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.