Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD video not full HD??

Just got a MBP 13' with retina display... however I notice when I try watch HD videos on youtube or Netflix for example the video is blurry as if it were playing at a lesser quality? Here's the specs if that helps:

• SD Card Slot: SDXC
  • Maximum Memory: 16GB
  • Processor: Dual Core i5 2.9GHz
  • Display: 13.3 inch Widescreen Retina
  • Storage: 512GB Flash Storage
  • Memory (RAM): 16GB on-board memory
  • Graphics: Intel Iris 6100
  • Thunderbolt 2 (Quantity): 2

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 5:05 PM

5 replies

Jul 28, 2015 5:44 PM in response to MarkPCQ

Youtube will auto select video quality based on your internet connection speed, but sometimes it gets it wrong. You can manually change the quality by clicking on the cog on the toolbar at the bottom of the video player, and select a better quality from the dropdown there if one is available.

Recently Youtube has been choosing 360 as default for mi, but I can change it to 720p or 1080p if available for better quality.

For Netflix, its also an auto selection based on connection, but I do not know there is any way to change the quality manually.

Jul 29, 2015 8:39 AM in response to MarkPCQ

It does look a little jagged. But not sure what that could be.

I'll go out on a limb and say it may be due to the MBPs native 3840p resolution extending the 1080p video 2 or 3 times its normal size, and so it starts loosing quality.

Its like enlarging a 480p video to 1080p, there's just not enough information to correctly fill in the extra size, and so it pixelates.

In essence the HD screen on the new MBP is so good, 1080p video is just not good enough anymore.

HD video not full HD??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.