Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple AppleTVs with Connectivity Problems

Hey Guys, I have an issue with multiple AppleTVs in a home and I cannot solve it. I am sorry for the wall of text but hopefully I can provide enough information to help get the issue solved.

This is how the 3 AppleTVs hooked up:

AppleTVs are connected with premade Cat6 patch cables to a 24 port non blocking Gigabit Switch

The gigabit switch is connected with a premade Cat6 patch cable to a Netgear WNDR3700 router

Several times we have had issues where an AppleTV will show the screen that only has the Settings and Computers icons. This is supposedly only there when there is a loss of internet connectivity. I can have a computer on the same network and confirm the entire network has internet. I can also disconnect the patch cable from the AppleTV, plug it into a laptop, and still have internet. I can also ping the AppleTV from within the network with no issues. Reboots do not fix the issue. The only solution is a full restore.

Other times youtube will work, but Apple iTunes streaming will not connect. That is the issue we had today with another AppleTV on site. Bypassing the switch did not work. Power cycling the switch did not work. Power Cycling the router did not fix the problem. The router is on the latest firmware. The fix with Apple tech support was to restore the unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 6:14 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2015 5:34 AM in response to fensterb

fensterb wrote:

This is supposedly only there when there is a loss of internet connectivity.

Not quite. If you are only getting the main two icons there is no network connection at all. It has nothing to do with the internet.

Do you see a link light on the switch? You will need some network testing tools to test the termination of the cables being used.

Jul 29, 2015 4:29 PM in response to Brian Cook4

Yes, I have the tools to test the cables. They are all factory terminated and test perfect with a Fluke Wire Mapper. Additionally, as I mentioned, I can disconnect the patch cable from the AppleTV and plug it in to a laptop (so the laptop is plugged into the same switch port with the same patch cable) and the laptop has internet.

Additionally, I can confirm that the icons are not due to losing connection completely, as I can ping the AppleTV from other devices on the network when it is in this "2-icon" state and it pings properly.

Jul 31, 2015 11:35 AM in response to fensterb

You may already have checked this, but since it isn't in your post (and don't worry about being verbose - the more detail, the quicker the resolution)...

If you go into Settings -> General -> Network on each of the ATVs, does what is listed for router and DNS make sense? (i.e., same as on a computer)

Another wild guess idea: Is there a chance that the DHCP server on the router is configured to limit the number of IP addresses to fewer than the number of devices you have (only because I ran into that situation once)?

It probably makes sense to use a scan program (I have Net Analyzer on my iPhone) to ensure that there are no duplicate IP addresses.

And finally, does it work properly with a direct Ethernet connection to the router (bypass the switch)?

Hope one of those at least reveals a clue!

Jul 31, 2015 12:18 PM in response to fensterb

Ok I tried all kinds of things like plugging my cable directly into the fibre optic wall outlet for example but nothing seemed to work. But when I finally stumbled upon these two videos on youtube it actually solved my problem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QINpFtOapTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywxHucft_U4

The first video is very educational and since I already had followed through on all his explained steps I thought that I might own a defective copy.

But when I watched the second (not so great) video, which is from 2011 and not even directly aimed at my (our) problem, I got one last tip to try before giving up. The Apple TV apparently does not like to be close to metal objects! Mine was (and has been since I bought it a couple of months ago) placed right next to my Playstation 4. I now moved it down on the floor and wouldn't you know it, it finally worked! Right before this I also followed an (possibly) important step in the first video. I connected my apple through my iPhones wifi hotspot and in combination with this and having the ATV far away from metal it solved my problem!

Please watch these two videos and try the same procedure as I did and get back to us with your result!

Multiple AppleTVs with Connectivity Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.