Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Connect External Synth to Logic Pro 10

I just Purchased Roland JD-XI

connected it with Mio MIDI to USB converter directly into macbook

as MIDI, it works fine. Logic recognizes keys I push and can play internal instruments from logic

but I'm not really sure what I have to do to play JD-XI's sound in logic

I tried using external instruments, but I get nothing but feedback from macbook itself. Tried using Aux but didn't work either

I downloaded JD-XI's Driver and installed it but when i open it, it says device couldn't found.

Is it possible that Mio MIDI to USB is not compatible with OS 10.10.1 yosemite?

if not what should I do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 9:27 PM

Midi is not Audio.. it's just data...

To get the Audio into Logic you should either;

1) Use the USB connection from the Xi to your Mac... as that carries both Audio and Midi.. so you don't need to use the Mio for it... If you have the drivers for the Xi set up and installed correctly you should see the XI listed in Logic's Audio Input section of it's Audio preferences/Audio/Devices If ylou cannot get it to work, a call to Roland Support might be useful.

Roland's US support info can be found here...

http://www.rolandus.com/company/contact_us/

If you live outside the USA.. simply google for the appropriate information...

Or...

2) Use an Audio Interface and then connect the audio outs from your Roland to the audio inputs of the Audio Interface..... and select those inputs in Logic when you want to record the audio output of your Roland... using the External Instrument Plugin....

Here is an example video of how to achieve that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_L5DUBE3AQ

There are many more guides and tutorials out there.... Just google Logic Pro X External Instrument to find them...

Note: I recommend a good quality Audio Interface... Something like a Motu, RME, UA, Focusrite or maybe Apogee

Cheap USB2 ones like those by Avid, M-Audio, Alesis, Mackie and so on tend to cause/have issues... so I don't recommend them...

Make sure whatever interface you buy, has up to date stable and working drivers for your current OS X version... and check for any known issues reported here or elsewhere before purchase..

Additional: The Mio works great with Logic Pro X, OS X 10.10 and the Xi... Your problem is you believed you could get audio via Midi which is not possible...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2015 9:27 PM in response to bemelle

Midi is not Audio.. it's just data...

To get the Audio into Logic you should either;

1) Use the USB connection from the Xi to your Mac... as that carries both Audio and Midi.. so you don't need to use the Mio for it... If you have the drivers for the Xi set up and installed correctly you should see the XI listed in Logic's Audio Input section of it's Audio preferences/Audio/Devices If ylou cannot get it to work, a call to Roland Support might be useful.

Roland's US support info can be found here...

http://www.rolandus.com/company/contact_us/

If you live outside the USA.. simply google for the appropriate information...

Or...

2) Use an Audio Interface and then connect the audio outs from your Roland to the audio inputs of the Audio Interface..... and select those inputs in Logic when you want to record the audio output of your Roland... using the External Instrument Plugin....

Here is an example video of how to achieve that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_L5DUBE3AQ

There are many more guides and tutorials out there.... Just google Logic Pro X External Instrument to find them...

Note: I recommend a good quality Audio Interface... Something like a Motu, RME, UA, Focusrite or maybe Apogee

Cheap USB2 ones like those by Avid, M-Audio, Alesis, Mackie and so on tend to cause/have issues... so I don't recommend them...

Make sure whatever interface you buy, has up to date stable and working drivers for your current OS X version... and check for any known issues reported here or elsewhere before purchase..

Additional: The Mio works great with Logic Pro X, OS X 10.10 and the Xi... Your problem is you believed you could get audio via Midi which is not possible...

How to Connect External Synth to Logic Pro 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.