Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want permission globally, how do I get this in Yosemite?

I am the only user of my iMac, that makes me administrator. In some application folders, I must sign my password to delete files or folders within these application folders. I get tired of having to type my password to delete files or folders from the multiple folders within these applications. I have tried Apple+I and granting access but there are so many that there must be a GLOBAL command to give me access to ALL FILES AND ALL FOLDERS in Yosemite 10.10.4.

What is the GLOBAL command? Is there one? NO it isn't just resetting the password. That has no effect on there majority of files, only mu HOME folder.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iMac 14,2 / 3.5GHz Intel Quad Core

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 10:57 PM

4 replies

Jul 29, 2015 7:52 AM in response to blackxacto

blackxacto wrote:

I am the only user of my iMac,

No, you're not the only user. Each process the performs functions behind the scenes is a user. The permissions are set the way they are to prevent rogue processes from hacking your Mac.

If you change the permissions to allow yourself unfettered access, you will likely break the processes that use those files and folders.

Jul 29, 2015 1:39 PM in response to blackxacto

The solution I had forgotten about was simply selecting Apple+I any folder, unlocking the folder, and selecting "Apply to Enclosed Items". You guy's are right to remind me about changing ownership of the system files. Thanks for the reminder. I didn't realize that a process is a hidden user.

This all started when all folders within a certain Adobe application became locked, so I could not delete or move items within the application folders without entering my administrator password. Using "Apply to Enclosed Items" quickly changed access privileges for me.

I want permission globally, how do I get this in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.