Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally created new Apple ID, how to merge?

So I've got an iPhone and iPad already, and last week got a new MacBook Air. In the setup process of this laptop I accidentally created a new Apple ID. I have no purchases on this new ID, so I really don't need it. I just want to stop using it and start using my old Apple ID on my new laptop. I got lots of purchases on my old ID. But how?! It seems impossible to change Apple ID on my MacBook Air.

I see some pages with descriptions on how to change from one user to another, like in case you're selling your MacBook to someone else, but then I'd lose the license for some of the software! I'm not switching users, it's still me!😢

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 8:44 PM

9 replies

Jul 28, 2015 9:21 PM in response to UGADog

If I follow your suggestion it just goes on to say...

"Do you want to stop using iCloud? The user "XXXXX" is using this iCloud account and password to log in to this Mac. If you sign out of iCloud, you will need to create a separate password for this Mac'.

[Cancel] [Stop Using iCloud]

That doesn't look like a solution?

Jul 28, 2015 9:30 PM in response to Lysfjord

If you’ve set it up with the new Apple ID, that is part of the solution. You can turn the iCloud password back on after signing in with the correct one.

You also need to check the Mac App Store and iTunes. If you’ve downloaded anything from either application(except for podcast episodes) while signed into it with the undesired Apple ID, it needs to be deleted and redownloaded.

(130925)

Jul 28, 2015 9:34 PM in response to Niel

Things seems to be getting resolved now. Had to login with my old ID again to find files stored in My Documents while using the old ID, and some free software like Chrome, Dropbox etc., had to be configured again. But are there any software licenses bundled with the OS that I would have to buy again since I'm using a different ID from the one I first registered the MacBook with?

Accidentally created new Apple ID, how to merge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.