Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-connect to a TimeCapsule

I have three macs backing up to a 3Tb TimeCapsule (two MBAs and a 2011 MacMini, all running up-to-date versions of Yosemite)

Everything has worked flawlessly for more than two years, but suddenly a couple of weeks ago my MacMini got stuck at 'preparing backup'. This TimeCapsule was nearly full, but I assumed that older backups would be deleted, and the two MBAs carried on backing up as expected.

I tried:

Restarting the TimeCapsule

Restarting the MacMini

Verifying the disks on the Mac mini (there were no errors or permissions problems)

All these had no effect.

I then followed http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html, and turned TimeMachine off on the MacMini, trashed the TimeMachine preference file, and rebooted, then reconnecting it to the TimeCapsule.)

After this, the initial backup could not be completed, as there was not enough disk space.

I could access individual backups via TimeMachine (dating back two years), but deleting each one took about 25 minutes, and so clearing space this way wasn't feasible.

Finally, I decided just to delete the relevant sparsebundle file from the TimeCapsule drive, and repeat the trashing of the preference file, and reconnect the MacMini as an entirely new backup.

The deletion (using the Finder, not a terminal command) took a while, but afterwards, the TimeMachine App showed that the TimeCapsule had a lot of free space.

However, when I set-up TImeMachine backups for the macMini again, the initial backup fails with the helpful message "The backup disk image “/Volumes/Time Capsule/jackMini.sparsebundle” could not be created (error (null))."

The Console Log gives the following:

29/07/2015 10:07:38.528com.apple.backupd[577]Starting manual backup
29/07/2015 10:07:38.548com.apple.backupd[577]Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Time Capsule
29/07/2015 10:07:41.924com.apple.backupd[577]Creating disk image /Volumes/Time Capsule/jackMini.sparsebundle
29/07/2015 10:07:44.557com.apple.backupd[577]Error 17 creating backup disk image
29/07/2015 10:07:44.560com.apple.backupd[577]Failed to create disk image /Volumes/Time Capsule/jackMini.sparsebundle, status: 17
29/07/2015 10:07:44.583com.apple.backupd[577]Backup failed with error 20: 20

Although a jackMini.sparsebundle file has been created on the TimeCapsule.

I am reluctant to re-initialise the whole TimeCapsule, as the backups for the two MBAs are still working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can proceed?

Many thanks,

J.

TimeCapsule 3Tb-OTHER

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 3:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 4:33 AM

Error 17 is caused by a number of things.. this is an old one and pondini lists a number of solutions..

See C9,10,12, 17.

Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Time Capsule

This could be the problem.. you should not have the TC mounted before TM starts. Always dismount it.. then start TM and allow TM to control the mount.

No luck.. do a factory reset of the TC.. no files are lost doing this.. I recommend strongly using short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Yosemite is a dog and a pain.. !!

Once something like this goes bung it is difficult without factory reset to get things going again.. but this will not delete the files of the MBA.. if you change the name.. you will simply need to reconfigure the TM on the MBA to use the new disk name.. it will say it is going to do a new backup but in fact will discover the old backup and simply continue.

Post back if you still have the issue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 4:33 AM in response to DrJonJ

Error 17 is caused by a number of things.. this is an old one and pondini lists a number of solutions..

See C9,10,12, 17.

Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Time Capsule

This could be the problem.. you should not have the TC mounted before TM starts. Always dismount it.. then start TM and allow TM to control the mount.

No luck.. do a factory reset of the TC.. no files are lost doing this.. I recommend strongly using short names.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Yosemite is a dog and a pain.. !!

Once something like this goes bung it is difficult without factory reset to get things going again.. but this will not delete the files of the MBA.. if you change the name.. you will simply need to reconfigure the TM on the MBA to use the new disk name.. it will say it is going to do a new backup but in fact will discover the old backup and simply continue.

Post back if you still have the issue.

Aug 7, 2015 10:48 AM in response to LaPastenague

The factory reset did the trick!

First, I deleted the offending MacMini sparsebundle, made copies of the sparsebundles of our two MBAs to a big external hard-drive (plenty of webpages give advise on how to do this) and turned off TimeMachine on all the computers.

After the TimeCapsule reset, I reconnected the MBAs and they recommenced their backups flawlessly (with their backup history intact).

I then added the MacMini as a new machine, and it seems to have backed up OK.

Thanks for the help!

Re-connect to a TimeCapsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.