Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I add music videos to my iPod Classic (6th Generation, 120 GB)?

I'm not sure if it's an update that has changed settings or what, but I can no longer put music videos on my iPod Classic (6th Generation, 120 GB). It's not an issue of room because I've used maybe 30% of my available space, if that. The videos in question are ones I've purchased from the iTunes store, not ones I've converted into a compatible format (though converted videos from my hard drive won't sync either). Whenever I drag and drop the videos to my iPod, I keep getting a message that says the videos "were not copied to my iPod because they can not be played on this iPod". I've put several music videos on my iPod in the past so why now all of a sudden do I get a message saying it can't play them? The videos being rejected are all in the MPEG-4 format, same as all the others I've put on it in the past.

My OS is Windows 8.1 and my iTunes is version 12.2.1, all up to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iPod classic, Other OS, Windows 8.1

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 12:29 PM

Go to music videos, select all, and then go to file > convert > convert to iPod/iPhone version.

The default resolution is usually to large for iPods to process, so they need to have their resolution lowered before they can be played on your device.

7 replies

Aug 9, 2015 10:40 AM in response to RetroRocket625

Hi,

Do I take it that it is only newly downloaded videos that will not transfer? As an experiment you could try making a copy of one of your purchased video files that works on the classic now, then delete the original, redownload from the store, then try adding this file to classic. Assuming it is now rejected, delete the new version, then restore the original and add it back into your library. Will it add to the classic now?

I'm guessing this is a perhaps unintentional side effect of new DRM features designed to support Apple Music. The iTunes Feedback team rarely respond, but they should gather information and pass significant issues up the line. You could also try using the report a problem links in your account history to raise the issue.

tt2

Aug 13, 2015 10:29 AM in response to turingtest2

Not only newly downloaded videos, but also videos I converted to .mp4 files that are (or were) compatible with my iPod. But your experiment worked. I deleted the original version of the last video I was able to sync to my iPod, then redownloaded it. The new copy wouldn't sync so I deleted it, restored the original from the recycling bin and it synced, no problem. I certainly hope this problem will be corrected in a future update. If it won't sync videos I converted myself, I can deal with that. But it should play ones I paid for right from their own store. Thanks for your help.

Why can't I add music videos to my iPod Classic (6th Generation, 120 GB)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.