Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't 'see' my Canon printer on the wireless network, despite being connected......

I have a TC for my home network; all devices are connecting OK, less my Canon MG6140. The printer is connected to the network but does not seem to be discoverable. Have re-connected it, both using the printer's control panel and via USB using Canon's proprietary software tool - but it remains 'undiscovered' when searching the network to print or scan. Airport Utility is showing the IP address only, not the printer's name. Checked that Bonjour is active on the printer's settings. Had an Airport Express on the network but have disconnected to ensure only one access point. Ideas, please?

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 11:01 PM

10 replies

Jul 29, 2015 1:31 AM in response to timmytip803

According to this..

http://www.canon-europe.com/printers/inkjet/pixma/pixma_mg6140/

Your printer has ethernet and wireless..

DO NOT USE USB.. use ethernet or wireless.. both are hugely superior..

However drivers for Yosemite might be lacking.. this is one of the issues with loads of stuff.. and often replaced OS where the manufacturers cannot keep up with driver demand.

Jul 29, 2015 11:52 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for taking the trouble to help; I don't need any persuading about the value of using wireless - that is precisely why I am trying to get the printer working again via my home network! The issues have only begun since I switched across to using TC as my router.

I have already updated all the drivers offered by Canon but will now check if the Yosemite ones are up to date too. Still doesn't really explain why I am not seeing the printer named when looking at the device list in Airport Utility. This strongly suggests to me that there is a setting wrong on either the printer or TC that is preventing the printer's name showing correctly, which would allow the connection to be completed for printing and scanning, as before.

Jul 30, 2015 2:18 AM in response to timmytip803

Ok.. I misunderstood this.

Have re-connected it, both using the printer's control panel and via USB using Canon's proprietary software tool - but it remains 'undiscovered' when searching the network to print or scan.

I assumed you had it connected by USB because you stated it was.

No where did you state.. it is connected by wireless.. or it is plugged into ethernet..

When plugged into USB all your statements about network hold true. That is why I was obsessing.

Jul 31, 2015 6:45 AM in response to LaPastenague

I have stressed about this same issue and this thread sent me in the right direction and my second HP printer is doing well. It doesn't have ethernet, but the wifi works fine.

A similar question about TC and usb: I tried to use usb access on a NETGEAR router for someone else and it was a huge night mare for accessing music files.

I'm considering the use of usb on my Time Capsule for that. 'That' meaning a jump drive (or usb hdd) with files that can be accessed by network. Is that possible? And is it easier than the Genie and RedyShare stuff?

Thanks

Jul 31, 2015 3:15 PM in response to bill299

I'm considering the use of usb on my Time Capsule for that. 'That' meaning a jump drive (or usb hdd) with files that can be accessed by network. Is that possible? And is it easier than the Genie and RedyShare stuff?

Unfortunately music files.. is rather obscure.. do you mean itunes library??

If not what exactly is the music format?

This is not really related to the main thread.. but hosting iTunes on a TC should be possible but is often a poor way to handle things.. Try and see.

Jul 31, 2015 7:51 PM in response to LaPastenague

My music is in mp3 format. I have never been able to use iTunes for anything but music that was purchased from the iTunes Store. I have hundreds of songs I own from other sources. I use VLC to play audio and video.

My intent was to host mp3 and other files on a jump drive or usb HDD connected to the Time Capsule.

It is my understanding that the Time Capsule's hdd doesn't work well for anything but Time Machine. That is all I use it for.

I have a lot to learn about networking. I have two external USB HDD's connected to my Mac. Probably they would be the better place for that, but I don't know how to share them on the network either.

Thanks for your response.

Bill

Aug 1, 2015 1:07 AM in response to bill299

It is my understanding that the Time Capsule's hdd doesn't work well for anything but Time Machine. That is all I use it for.

This is not true.. it works for anything as long as the file format is supported.

As a network drive it is handled better and faster than USB ever can be.

Give it a try and it should work.. mp3 are completely different issue to itunes library.

Aug 1, 2015 6:07 PM in response to LaPastenague

"This is not true.. it works for anything as long as the file format is supported."

I agree that some folks do use TC hdd 'if the file format is supported'. I'm used to archiving files where that requirement is not so narrow.

I also agree that ethernet, firewire, wifi, thunderbolt, etc. are vastly faster than usb. Usb3 is faster than 2, but still much inferior to the others.

I also agree that mp3 and iTunes are different worlds. I don't use iTunes. In my opinion, it is very restrictive. It doesn't need to be a part of this conversation.

You have been helpful. Thank you.

Can't 'see' my Canon printer on the wireless network, despite being connected......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.