Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air 6,2 ssd

My Macbook Air 6,2 SSD broke right after the warranty expired. The guys at the Apple store told me that they would replace it for $950 and one of my kidneys. Given that the device is $990 when you buy it new, this is really hard to swallow. So I tried to get an SSD from OWC but they don't have it yet.

Is there any half way reasonable way to get my device operational again without having to pay twice for the device? I mean, it's kind of rough that the device breaks so quickly after the warranty expires and then you punish by basically making it completely impractical to repair it.

This feels in bad in particular because I do not have a computer right now, the repair price doesn't make any sense, and I have to beg Apple to give me a part because they control the supply chain so that I can't buy the stuff elsewhere.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 11:02 PM

7 replies

Jul 28, 2015 11:42 PM in response to martinfromredwood city

Oh sorry

The thing is that if its a mac pro it can get changed with out a problem and if its a air the problem is that it can not be changed because it is moulded onto the system as well with the other products. I think you would be better of to get a new mac if its a air. If it is a pro then look for seagate brand or WD brand SSD hard drives.

Jul 29, 2015 12:02 AM in response to martinfromredwood city

iFixit ( fixit.com) is place where you can buy Macbook Air SSD -- new or used. Many models also 6,2 🙂

• Macbook Air 11" (Mid 2013 to Early 2015)
  • MacBook Air 13" (Mid 2013 to Early 2014)

226,23 € ($249.95 [USD])128 GB / New

407,25 € ($449.95 [USD])256 GB / New

135,72 € ($149.95 [USD)128 GB / Used

316,74 € ($349.95 [USD])256 GB / Used

512 GB - price i don't remember.

Have a great day 🙂

Jul 29, 2015 12:15 AM in response to Mystery of life

Unfortunately, they are out of stock. Already subscribed to their newsletter ... OWC doesn't have the part either ...

Thats why I'm asking. Apple apparently still buys up all the 6.2 SSDs, so you have to pay their premium price if you want to spare part. And after this one broke so quickly, I don't quite feel like buying a refurbished one 😉

macbook air 6,2 ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.