Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto shows files as jpeg but exports as document???

I use OSX (10.9.5) and iPhoto 9.5.1.

I have downloaded pictures onto my desktop and then imported them into iPhoto. When I try and export them from iPhoto to Shutterfly (or snapfish or the like), it tells me the files is not a jpeg and thus it is not supported by the 3rd party website. However, when I look at the info button on the bottom right in iPhoto, it says "jpeg" and "Nikon D3000" and has the MB size of the file. When I then right-click on the same file in Finder (this is the image I'd downloaded to my hard drive before importing into iPhoto), and click on "Get Info" it says the file is a document (not a JPEG) and wants me to open it with text editor.

Anyone know why this is happening? I am really frustrated. I can individually open each file in finder with text edit and save it (again) as a JPEG but this seems quite unnecessary and extra work.

Additionally, if I want to make a book from these images using iPhoto and the default book maker, there is no issue. But I want to use Shutterfly and not the Apple book maker so I am stuck.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 4:32 AM

2 replies

Jul 29, 2015 11:22 AM in response to paulsonm

Change the app to open it with to your editor of choice or Preview. Preview is often the default app for image files but you can change it to any app in the list. iPhoto will not be one of them as it's not an editor but a image manager.

User uploaded file

Then click on the Change All button. That will tell the Finder that the file is an image file.

User uploaded file

iphoto shows files as jpeg but exports as document???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.