Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers error in function with multiple operators

I'm having a hard time resolving an issue with what I thought was a basic calculation - but clearly I'm not doing something correctly.

I have a basic budget spreadsheet that i set up in a previous version of numbers.

In the left column I have a list of bills then a series of columns for the frequency of the payment, weekly, monthly, annually etc. I then have a column at the end that calculate the amount per fortnight. The original formula from the old version of Numbers is quite simple and works if I past it to another cell, however if I attempt to type the same formula I get an error - red triangle with an exclamation mark. I am certain I am overlooking something very basic, however I cannot figure this one out.

User uploaded file

This is the formula that works. If I try and replicate the formula I get an error.

User uploaded file

I can copy and paste the formula, update the cell reference and it works well. I can even change the fixed value numbers. Why would I be unable to type this in?

I have also tried with and without the SUM function.

Thanks in advance for helping me.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 2:00 AM

So after several days of beating my head against the wall I finally see what I've done wrong. I have been typing a lower case X for the multiply symbol instead of an asterisk. Sometimes you just need to say it out loud! I think the reason I was having so much trouble seeing the issue is due to the fact in the display it appears as an X and not an * as you normally do with computer multiplication.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 2:00 AM in response to DemetersRest

So after several days of beating my head against the wall I finally see what I've done wrong. I have been typing a lower case X for the multiply symbol instead of an asterisk. Sometimes you just need to say it out loud! I think the reason I was having so much trouble seeing the issue is due to the fact in the display it appears as an X and not an * as you normally do with computer multiplication.

Numbers error in function with multiple operators

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.