Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi. I have an IPhone 5S and running IOS 8.4. I recently backed up all photos to iCloud photo library. Now. when I delete a picture on my phone, it gets deleted from my iCloud. How do I stop this?? I thought iCloud backed things up so you can delete f

Hi. I have an IPhone 5S and running IOS 8.4. I recently backed up all photos to iCloud photo library. Now. when I delete a picture on my phone, it gets deleted from my iCloud. How do I stop this?? I thought iCloud backed things up so you can delete from your phone?

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 3:38 AM

4 replies

Jul 29, 2015 4:52 AM in response to harpalfromlondon

Hi,

This is a normal behavior of having iCloud Photo Library enabled and is actually a good thing. The point of having this service on is whenever there is a change (deleting included) on one of your devices, for the change to get reflected on all of your devices including www.icloud.com which is the window to show you your data on Apple servers...

Jul 29, 2015 5:05 AM in response to harpalfromlondon

iCloud optimizes your photos for iPhone, it does not store the full size image once it's uploaded. If you still want to remove them from your phone, move the photos you want to archive to a folder on your computer and delete them from iCloud. Be sure to follow some good backup strategy to be sure you don't lose them if the computer dies.

Jul 29, 2015 5:17 AM in response to harpalfromlondon

Sure there is. You have to disable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone only but not on the www.icloud.com. This way your photos in the iPhone will be locally saved only in the iPhone memory and any changes will not reflect on the www.icloud.com itself. Please don't forget that this way will rise up the risk of losing your photos in case if you lose your iPhone if you do not have a separate backup solution.

The purpose of iCloud Photo Library is for everything to get synced and backed up automatically and is actually the best way available...

Hi. I have an IPhone 5S and running IOS 8.4. I recently backed up all photos to iCloud photo library. Now. when I delete a picture on my phone, it gets deleted from my iCloud. How do I stop this?? I thought iCloud backed things up so you can delete f

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.