Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Basic questions about iCloud Music

My apologies for these basic questions but I have tried searching on line and the end result is added confusion!

Also, I hope this is the right forum for iCloud music questions, I dont see one specific for that.

I have current versions of iOS, iTunes (Windows) and have joined Apple Music.

Some of these questions I think I may have the answer from observation but want to be 100% sure.

1. What is the difference between iCLoud music and iMatch (other than cost!)

2. Turning iCLoud music on does not delete files from the computer or mobile device?

3. If there are multiple versions of a track (different bit rates on different devices) do they all end up in iCLoud or just the highest bit rate.

4. Likewise what if the metadata differ (especially art work)?

5. Given that Im sometimes away from a WLAN (WiFi) I want to have a subset of my library on each mobile device (and all of it on the desktop of course). The subsets would differ due to the different capacities of the devices. Am I correct that the only way to do this is to sync with iCloud off?

6, Should it be off just for the mobile device or off on the desktop as well?

7. Turning iCloud music off on a device presumably deletes iCLoud items from the devices Music that are not actually on the device? But such tracks are still visible to other devices with iCloud on?

Where I'm trying to get to is a master iTunes library on my desk top with highest quality (this is a slight over simplification as a good part of my library is FLAC but I clone an mp3 version of those files for iTunes) versions of all tracks. I then sync device specific subsets to each mobile device. And then make the entire library available through iCloud (turning back on on the mobile devices). Is this a reasonable approach?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 6:12 AM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 7:51 AM in response to RMJFlack

Hi,

1. iCloud Music Library: Understanding differences between Apple Music and iTunes Match - Apple Support
  2. See 1
  3. They could all go into match as either matched at 256 Kbps or uploaded as is (Aiff, WAV or Alac files transcribed to 256 VBR) but some may not go in because they are duplicates.
  4. Can't comment on this - some people have issues with changing art
  5. You can't manually sync with iTunes match on. You could pre-download tracks for use when you have no wifi.
  6. You should have all your music on your computer with a separate back up
  7. Correct.

Read also http://www.macworld.com/article/2943703/how-itunes-match-and-apple-music-work-to gether.html and http://www.imore.com/how-to-set-up-use-itunes-match and http://www.imore.com/apple-music-vs-itunes-match-whats-difference

Jim

Jul 29, 2015 11:55 PM in response to RMJFlack

Hi,

Mp3 or AAC Tracks > 256 Kbps tracks will be matched at 256 kpbs AAC.

WAV, AIFF and ALAC will be transcribed to 256 VBR Kbps.

Note that the tracks will be unaltered on your main library. Your iOS devices will stream or download at 256 Kbps except that uploaded MP3 and AAC will stream or download at original bit rate (inc 320 Kbps files).

Jim

Basic questions about iCloud Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.