Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding to playlist NOT already in itunes

I have 80+ songs sitting in a folder on my desktop. I would like to add them to a playlist so i can then transfer that playlist to my ipod.

Is there a way I can create a playlist of these 80 songs *without* adding them to the itunes library ? I dont want to have to search through the 1000's of other songs when they *are* added to the itunes library to create a playlist. Just cannot seem to perform this simple task.

Even better would be to just drag and drop the folder directly into my ipod but again I cannot see any way of doing this.

Is there a solution ? or better software that can achieve this ?

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:17 AM

GBUK007, there are a couple of easy ways to make a new playlist with these songs. The simplest is probably:

• Open iTunes

• Create a new (empty) playlist, either by selecting File > New > Playlist or clicking the + sign at the lower left corner and selecting New Playlist

• Give this a name (like New Stuff for August) and leave it open in the iTunes window

• From the desktop, drag the folder containing the music files into the iTunes window -- a blue outline should appear around the empty list -- and drop it there

• iTunes will import the songs and assign them to the new playlist in one step

An alternative method is to just import the songs by whatever method you normally use, then locate them in the Recently Added playlist which should already exist by default. Go to that playlist, and set the view to "Songs" from the pulldown menu at the upper right of the screen, just below the Search bar. Now sort the list by clicking on the Date Added column header (you may need to add this column by Control-clicking on the header row and choosing Date Added). Now you'll see all the new songs grouped together at the top of the playlist. Select all of them, Control-click, and choose "New Playlist from Selection."

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 7:17 AM in response to GBUK007

GBUK007, there are a couple of easy ways to make a new playlist with these songs. The simplest is probably:

• Open iTunes

• Create a new (empty) playlist, either by selecting File > New > Playlist or clicking the + sign at the lower left corner and selecting New Playlist

• Give this a name (like New Stuff for August) and leave it open in the iTunes window

• From the desktop, drag the folder containing the music files into the iTunes window -- a blue outline should appear around the empty list -- and drop it there

• iTunes will import the songs and assign them to the new playlist in one step

An alternative method is to just import the songs by whatever method you normally use, then locate them in the Recently Added playlist which should already exist by default. Go to that playlist, and set the view to "Songs" from the pulldown menu at the upper right of the screen, just below the Search bar. Now sort the list by clicking on the Date Added column header (you may need to add this column by Control-clicking on the header row and choosing Date Added). Now you'll see all the new songs grouped together at the top of the playlist. Select all of them, Control-click, and choose "New Playlist from Selection."

Adding to playlist NOT already in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.