Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about MacBook Pro hardware

Hello, and sorry if I made mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

I plan to buy a new MBP this Christmas and I had some questions :

- Does a higher frequency CPU heat more than a lower frequency CPU ? For example, does an Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz quad-core heat more than an quad-core 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 ? I need fan noise to be as low as possible because I will be recording sound.

- Regarding laptops evolution, should I buy a quad-core or a dual-core if I want it to be still powerful in 5 or 10 years ? The MBP I actually have is 5 or 6 years old and have a dual-core but still run pretty good. However, I will be using FCP X and I want the best performances, but I have seen that some softwares actually runs better with dual than quad-core. What about in 5 years ? Does FCP X runs better with quad than dual-core ?

- Does display resolution setting affect computer performances ? For example: if I set my laptop on 1 920 x 1 200, will my MBP have better performance with FCP than native resolution ( 2 880 x 1 800) ?

Thank you for your attention. 🙂

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:04 AM

In regard to your heat question: when you are comparing the same CPU running at different speeds then the faster CPU will run somewhat hotter than the slower one. However you cannot safely compare two different CPUs (say the i5 and the i7) and make the same assumption. Furthermore, you need to look at the entire package - heat isn’t generated just by the CPU. If you compare two the same Mac computer, one utilizing Intel’s integrated video and the other a discrete video card it is possible that the computer with the discrete video will run hotter.

In terms of your questions about longevity: you are asking us to speculate about the future in ways that we cannot. The whole idea of developing CPUs with multiple cores is amazing but the hardware technology of multiple processors is at least one generation ahead of the software technology. If programming languages (and programmers) had kept pace with the hardware technology a dual core processor would be twice as fast as a simple core processor - but it isn’t. I’ve heard it said by several programming language developers that compilers tend to reach their maturity just about the time the CPU they were developed for is replaced by a newer model. I used to buy the best computer I could afford hoping to make it last a long time but about 10 years ago I changed my thinking: I now buy the low end model expecting to replace it frequently (and being grateful that it tends to last longer than I expected).

Resolution does tend to have an impact on performance. The retina models have a native (or preferred) resolution and if you change from that resolution the GPU has to work harder to adapt the output.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 7:04 AM in response to LutinRose

In regard to your heat question: when you are comparing the same CPU running at different speeds then the faster CPU will run somewhat hotter than the slower one. However you cannot safely compare two different CPUs (say the i5 and the i7) and make the same assumption. Furthermore, you need to look at the entire package - heat isn’t generated just by the CPU. If you compare two the same Mac computer, one utilizing Intel’s integrated video and the other a discrete video card it is possible that the computer with the discrete video will run hotter.

In terms of your questions about longevity: you are asking us to speculate about the future in ways that we cannot. The whole idea of developing CPUs with multiple cores is amazing but the hardware technology of multiple processors is at least one generation ahead of the software technology. If programming languages (and programmers) had kept pace with the hardware technology a dual core processor would be twice as fast as a simple core processor - but it isn’t. I’ve heard it said by several programming language developers that compilers tend to reach their maturity just about the time the CPU they were developed for is replaced by a newer model. I used to buy the best computer I could afford hoping to make it last a long time but about 10 years ago I changed my thinking: I now buy the low end model expecting to replace it frequently (and being grateful that it tends to last longer than I expected).

Resolution does tend to have an impact on performance. The retina models have a native (or preferred) resolution and if you change from that resolution the GPU has to work harder to adapt the output.

Questions about MacBook Pro hardware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.