Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Often, apps start permanently crashing on boot after update

Starting from a few weeks ago, I'm having a problem where after I update an app, it often becomes permanently broken. It will always crash after booting.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the app itself, as I've had the problem with Facebook, Chrome, Soundhound, and 5 or 6 others. It doesn't happen every update, but even occasionally is way too often.

I am able to "fix" the problem by deleting the app and reinstalling it, but that means that I lose all of the data associated with the app. Restarting the phone does nothing.

I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1.2. I've had this phone for more than 3 years now and it only started doing this in the last couple weeks.

If anyone knows why this is occurring, I would love to know. Barring that, if anyone has any tips on how to reinstall an app without losing the data, that would be useful as well. Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 6:38 AM

Your phone may have corrupted RAM. You can clean it as follows:

• Press HOME once, then double-press it to bring up the Quick Launch screen
  • Kill each app you see by flicking its screen image up. Continue until all apps except the Home screen are closed
  • Press HOME once, and wait about 2 minutes for all apps to finish shutting down
  • Turn the phone off by holding the SLEEP button until Slide to power off appears, and do so
  • Wait another minute for it to finish the shutdown
  • Turn the phone back on by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 6:38 AM in response to TheChemist30

Your phone may have corrupted RAM. You can clean it as follows:

• Press HOME once, then double-press it to bring up the Quick Launch screen
  • Kill each app you see by flicking its screen image up. Continue until all apps except the Home screen are closed
  • Press HOME once, and wait about 2 minutes for all apps to finish shutting down
  • Turn the phone off by holding the SLEEP button until Slide to power off appears, and do so
  • Wait another minute for it to finish the shutdown
  • Turn the phone back on by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears.

Often, apps start permanently crashing on boot after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.