Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Wireless/LAN Networt with Airport Time Capsule and Airport Express

Hi,

I know, this topic was discussed before but I didn't found a solution for my problem.

My Setup:

Cable Modem ---LAN---> (WAN) TC (location:basement) ---LAN---> 1Gb Switch ---LAN---> (WAN) AX (location:top floor)

TC

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

AX

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The Problem

On the top level floor I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. iMac connected via LAN and MBP connected via AX WLAN.

Following Speedtests:

MBP (WLAN)

User uploaded file

iMac (LAN)

User uploaded file

I went with my MBP to the basement to check if the WLAN direct from TC is faster:

User uploaded file

But download speed was still 3 Mps.

Now I switched off TC and AX and after a while I get the following speed for my MBP on the top floor.

User uploaded file

Seems to be better now. But why? What I did wrong and how can I figure out the problem with my network?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), null

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:12 AM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2015 10:46 AM in response to andixy

MBP (WLAN)

User uploaded file

When you ran this test were you sure that your MBP was connected to the Express ... or still connected to the TC downstairs?

Now I switched off TC and AX and after a while I get the following speed for my MBP on the top floor.

If you "switched off" both the TC and AX, how was it that your MBP was connected to wireless and got those results?

Jul 30, 2015 7:47 AM in response to andixy

So do you think my configuration is correct, that TC and AX are creating a WIFI with the same name?

Yes, your settings look correct for a roaming type of network. Both base stations have unique base station names and both use the same network name, security type, and password. Both base stations appear to be on the same subnet so that, to me, would mean the Gigabit Ethernet switch is not configured incorrectly either.

One thing to keep in mind. In a roaming network, network clients will attempt to connect to the base station with the strongest signal, not necessarily the one closest to it. Also, iOS devices tend to "stick" with the first base station they connect to and you would have to "force" them to switch by going into Airplane mode.

I am also assuming that your modem is exactly that, a simple modem and not a combination modem & router or gateway device. Is this correct?

Setup Wireless/LAN Networt with Airport Time Capsule and Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.