Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating/downloading apps on iPhone 6 not working

I cannot update apps or even download new apps on my iPhone 6. I've had the phone for almost a year and it has just started happening. I have tried the following: making more storage space available, rebooting and deleting the app. Nothing works. When I delete the app and try to download it again, I can't even get the app back. All that happens is the circle just spins forever. Hoping someone can help.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:15 AM

12 replies

Feb 11, 2016 1:53 PM in response to bellmcf

I have the exact same problem, and I even tried the suggestion of updating the software version to 9.2.1. I am seriously ****** at this point and cannot find a definitive answer. There is literally nothing else wrong with the phone, nothing wrong with my billing info, the circle just spins forever and sometimes the message appears "Unable to Download". I have over 72 pending updates, and I even tried stopping all of them and trying to update one at a time. NOTHING WORKS.

Feb 11, 2016 3:02 PM in response to jfraser4

I tried everything except connecting to a different wifi network (my next door neighbor and BFF is at work and has not replied to my text asking for her wifi info, yet. I cannot see what this would solve if the downloads/updates will not work even when I am not connected to wifi and have LTE signal, and my Settings are always set to use cellular data for apps when not connected to wifi. If it makes any difference, the error message that sometimes/eventually appears (after tapping Download or Update, the circle starts spinning and then shows the circle with the square Stop button in the middle, but nothing else happens) reads "Unable to purchase", not "Unable to download". This still does not make sense as none of the downloads/updates require payment, they are all free.

I even tried deleting an app that was waiting for an update, Facebook Messenger, and now it wont even download from iCloud and I cannot get it back on my phone!

Feb 12, 2016 9:31 PM in response to jfraser4

I Am facing the same problem in my iphone 5s ios 9.2.1

i reset setting, network setting and even reset and erase my iphone but the problem is same

APps stuck on waiting. I always use 3 G network and more than 100mb file says use wifi but now less than 100 mb or even 50mb file is not downloading over 3G but can be downloaded over wifi

ANy solution please help

Feb 13, 2016 2:56 AM in response to asad khursheed

There are a bunch of things you can try. Start with a soft-reset (hold both sleep and home buttons in until the Apple logo shows). Then try logging out of iTunes / App Store - in "Settings" as well as the app front-end before trying to download again.

If those don't work next step is to try updating your device's iOS version from a computer instead of on the device itself.

And lastly, if all the above doesn't graft, you'll need to do a factory-reset ("restore") - AFTER you've made a new backup to your computer. After the restore try to download an app before restoring the backup to determine if the problem is solved - bcause restoring the backup MAY restore the problem to your device too! This way if it DOES happen you know where the problem is. If that works then restore the device backup. Hopefully you can still download / update after the backup is restored. If not then you'll need to do a factory-reset AGAIN, then slowly restore content to the device.

Good luck! I just had to go through precisely the above myself for a client's device. Not fun. But problem solved eventually - that's the important thing!

~Moi (aka Menageryl)

Updating/downloading apps on iPhone 6 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.