Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express seems to be operating intermittently. How can I determine if this is the case and a possible fix?

How can I determine if AE is operating properly? With AE I often lose the internet. Bypassing AE and plugging in directly fixes the problem, but leaves my other devices without Internet. So the problem is not my ISP. It is either my computer or AE.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), PageSpinner 5.0

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:49 AM

What is the exact model of your AirPort Express? What is the make & model of your Internet modem that it is directly connected to by Ethernet? What type of Internet service are you getting, i.e., cable, fiber, DSL, etc.?

Has this always happened or just started happening? Have you had your ISP perform a "line check" to the modem? Finally, how old is your modem?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 10:49 AM in response to Atkinsj

What is the exact model of your AirPort Express? What is the make & model of your Internet modem that it is directly connected to by Ethernet? What type of Internet service are you getting, i.e., cable, fiber, DSL, etc.?

Has this always happened or just started happening? Have you had your ISP perform a "line check" to the modem? Finally, how old is your modem?

Jul 29, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Atkinsj

Tesserax,

My AE is Model A1264. At least 5 years old. I don't have a separate modem. AE is connected directly to ethernet from the ISP. My service is fiberoptic cable. The ISP has done a line check to the computer, bypassing AE, showing speed of 30+ kbps, as advertised. This is a recent problem.

Each time AE fails to connect to the Internet/eMail I unplug AE and connect ethernet directly to my Mac. In about a minute, I connect to the Internet at advertised speed. I then reinstall AE and generally get satisfactory operation for about a day or less after normal warmup. In fact, I just did that a minute ago and get normal 30+kbps speed.

Is it the cool down that allows AE to recover? I normally leave it plugged in 24/7, though I turn the Mac off at night. Does this indicate my AE is worn out?

Jul 29, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Atkinsj

My AE is Model A1264. At least 5 years old.

Ok, thanks for the updates! The A1264 is a 1st generation 802.11n AirPort Express. 5 years would be just about on the cusp of useable service-life for most, not just Apple routers ... so, as you might suspect, this one may be failing or about to.

Is it the cool down that allows AE to recover? I normally leave it plugged in 24/7, though I turn the Mac off at night.

No, there isn't a cool-down period for the base station. However, if it is running in an exceptionally hot environment, especially 24/7, then that could cause problems like power transients that could affect its ability to provide a clean wireless network ... and why you may be losing connectivity to your fiberoptic Internet service.

Airport Express seems to be operating intermittently. How can I determine if this is the case and a possible fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.