Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 voicemail notification everytime i use an elevator

So this is a bit of an odd one,

Every time I use an elevator, I will get a notification popup saying that I have a new voicemail , i will check and i dont have any voicemails or saved messages.
However the voicemail notification stays and wont go away...

Ive tried, syncing, restarting my phone etc.

anyone else think this is odd?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 6:41 AM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2015 8:17 AM in response to sunnilovee

Is it jailbroken?

It sounds like the altitude sensor that counts flights of steps is triggering the voicemail notification, which means that iOS is really badly screwed up. Jailbreaking is the most likely cause of corruption in iOS, but there may be other ways of messing up iOS.

You should reinstall iOS using DFU mode, and do not restore your backup.

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore. When asked DO NOT restore a backup; set up as a new phone.

Jul 29, 2015 8:40 AM in response to sunnilovee

That rules out electromagnetic interference, leaving some interaction between the iPhone's barometer and voicemail notifications a likely cause. Duplicating it while climbing (or running?) flights of stairs, or otherwise rapidly changing its ambient atmospheric pressure would be definitive enough for me.

It's extremely weird and something in which I think Apple should take a keen interest since it is a repeatable bug. Unfortunately Apple's first tier support is unlikely to recommend anything beyond restoring the iPhone, which will probably fix it. The ultimate cause may never be determined.

Jul 29, 2015 8:49 AM in response to sunnilovee

Another potential cause is a bug in your cellular service provider's voice mail notification system. Ascending in an elevator enables your iPhone to connect to cellular tower sites not otherwise available while on the ground floor.

Come to think of it I believe that is a much more likely cause than interaction between a pressure sensor and voice mail... that make no sense to me at all.

Please contact AppleCare using the Contact Us link below. You will have to endure the indignity of going through useless motions until you finally get the attention of someone higher up. Apple works very closely with its cellular service partners and as I wrote I think that's where the culprit lies.

FWIW I had a remotely similar issue (local time not displaying properly, but only on an upper floor vs. ground level). Apple was very interested in it and it has since been fixed.

iphone 6 voicemail notification everytime i use an elevator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.