Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you revert to iPhoto with 10.10.4 with its library on an external drive?

So I decided to update my iMac to 10.10.4 and like many, noticed that iPhoto is now called Photos...I went ahead and allowed the new app to migrate all pictures to the new library...

A few years back, I moved the iPhoto library to an external drive to save space on my local drive and have a second external drive for Time Machine backups...

After the update, I've found 2 Photos libraries, one on the Time Machine drive and the second on my local drive with the iPhoto Library in its orignal external drive...

The file sizes don't match and from doing some reading, I'm thinking its because of the hard links created by the new app...However, when I look at my pictures on Photos, it doesn't look like all of them are there...

Is there a way to use iPhoto with 10.10.4?

I didn't update to iLife or update iPhoto to 9.6.1 so that option won't work...After doing some additional reading, I actually think I might not have much of a choice but to use TM and go back to my previous OS and leaving it as is unless someone shines some light and gives me some hope...

Thanks in advance...

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 8:08 AM

29 replies

Jul 29, 2015 12:37 PM in response to jsa

Assuming you had iphoto v9.x.x then there is no need to revert with TM. You can upgrade it as follows:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Jul 29, 2015 1:04 PM in response to jsa

I never had iPhoto 9.x.x so it won't be listed in my App Store

If you did not have any version of iPhoto '11, version 9.x.x., then downgrading back to MacOS X 10.7.5 will not help to upgrade iPhoto. It will allow you to run your old iPhoto version, but Apple stopped selling iphoto from the App Store, so you cannot purchase if 9.6.1.

Jul 29, 2015 2:40 PM in response to léonie

Well that's wonderful...

So I guess I don't have much options other than to go back to 10.7 and enjoy it for what it is...

If I leave it as is though, I can understand why I have two Photos library but don't see why there is such a large discrepancy between the sizes, ~470MB vs ~2GB?

Jul 30, 2015 12:18 AM in response to jsa

So I guess I don't have much options other than to go back to 10.7 and enjoy it for what it is...

You can buy iPhoto '11 from Amazon as part of the Life '11 package. With Apple's for update downloads you can update this to iPhoto '11, version 9.4.3. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1650?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

That is the last update that has been published outside the AppStore. It will suffice to run iPhoto '11 on Lion and Mountain Lion, but not on Mavericks. All later updated for the dos recent system versions have only been available from the App Store.

I can understand why I have two Photos library but don't see why there is such a large discrepancy between the sizes, ~470MB vs ~2GB?

That is hard to say, because we do not know how you created the Photos Libraries. If you open an iPhoto Library in Photos it will create a new library, approximately the same size as the original iPhoto Library. If you enable iCloud in Photos with the option "Optimise Mac Storage" the size will be smaller for that library, because the original image files will be stored in iCloud and only smaller versions kept on our Mac.

Jul 30, 2015 7:21 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for that tip Leonie...

As for the size, I only have my iPhoto library on my external drive and after I opened the library from that drive, the new Photos app started the process of migrating...I thought it would be close to 1:1 after the process but isn't...I don't use iCloud for anything, personal preference...

Jul 30, 2015 8:26 AM in response to jsa

The iPhoto Library might be larger than the migrated Photos library, for example, if it contains an iPod Photo Cache.

I'm thinking its because of the hard links created by the new app...However, when I look at my pictures on Photos, it doesn't look like all of them are there...

Did the migration get interrupted by a crash? So that photo might be missing?

Jul 31, 2015 10:08 PM in response to jsa

Would it make sense for me to use iPhoto library manager and have all libraries merged and then use a software, which I need to search for, that can locate duplicates and delete them???

iPhoto Library Manager requires that you have a working version of iphoto installed.

What you could do would be to open all your iPhoto libraries in Photos to create Photos versions of them. This way you can open them and compare the Photos inside in Photos and see, if you still have all your photos.

Photos does not support to merge libraries, but if you invest into PowerPhotos (Fat Cat Software – PowerPhotos), you can browse and compare multiple Photos libraries and search for duplicates. PowerPhotos is the successor to iPhotoLibrary Manager for Yosemite and Photos.

Jul 31, 2015 11:08 PM in response to jsa

jsa wrote:

Would it make sense for me to use iPhoto library manager and have all libraries merged and then use a software, which I need to search for, that can locate duplicates and delete them???

Yes - and IPLM can merge iPhoto libraries ignoring duplicates - and it is one of the better solutions to finding duplicates in iPhoto libraries

LN

Can you revert to iPhoto with 10.10.4 with its library on an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.