Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD for my 24" early 2008 iMac

I have a 24" early 2008 iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, with a 3.06 GHz processor, and 4Gigs of ram. I would like to replace the hard drive with a compatible SSD. I tried this a year ago with an SSD from OWC. The SSD functioned fine, but the fans in my iMac all ran on high. Replacing the SSD with a standard hard drive was the only way to solve the problem. Does anyone know of a compatible SSD for this iMac?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 8:31 AM

4 replies

Jul 29, 2015 8:43 AM in response to C.G. Richard

The SSD you had from OWC was not the problem, you may have disconnected a fan sensor which created the problem. On 2008 iMacs a fan sensor was taped to the outside of the internal HD, if that sensor was not put back on the SSD, removed or disconnected or was otherwise malfunctioning that would have created your problem.

However, you have a machine that is close to 10 years old, do you really want to invest money into it?

Jul 29, 2015 9:14 AM in response to C.G. Richard

C.G. Richard wrote:

Actually, the sensor was attached properly to the SSD. I spoke with a tech from OWC who said the problem was caused by a conflict between the iMac drive heat sensor and a heat sensor built into the OWC SSD. Removing the iMac sensor made no difference, and he could suggest to solution.

Interesting, contact OWC again and see if they have a solution now. I have a 2011 iMac that I added one of their SSDs into and have had absolutely no problems. I recommend OWC as they specialize in Macs and may now have a solution for you.

SSD for my 24" early 2008 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.