Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV movie downloads ridiculously slow

I have a very fast internet connection and my AppleTV is connected via ethernet. I stream Netflix and Amazon movies just fine. I went to rent a movie, and the download time initially said 3 hrs, went to 4, and then slowly came down. I gave up; the next morning, it had downloaded. I've had previous experience renting movies, and you waited a few minutes for it to start the download, and then you could watch it. A few minutes vs many hours.

Is there a trick to getting this to work? Is it Apple's servers or something else?

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:29 AM

32 replies

Jul 29, 2015 10:06 AM in response to RADumas

Netflix and other services adapt to the connection. iTunes content is at a fixed rate and higher quality.

Did you verify connection via speedtest.net?

Is this occurring at specific times?

Make sure DNS is set to auto (settings - general - network)

To see a current status of the network get a report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar.

Test on another network

Jul 29, 2015 10:37 AM in response to vazandrew

ATT Uverse. Speedtest says 50M download. AppleTV connected via ethernet.

DNS: Auto

on AppleTV, check connection first failed: "Cannot connect to Apple". Second try, it just says "finished"

I go to watch a trailer for another movie. Takes a good 15 minutes to download the HD trailer.

The movie that I rented, I rented as "download and watch now" expecting it to buffer a bit and then stream. I appeared to slowly download the whole thing.

I just went to rent another to see if the same experience, but I selected "watch later" and it didn't do anything. I don't know if I'll have the long experience when I start to watch it.

Jul 29, 2015 2:50 PM in response to vazandrew

I never really got the suggestion to test on some other network. I have ATT Uverse. If it doesn't work on my network, it's moot.

Did several speed and quality tests. 0 dropped packets, latency short, speed between 40 and 50Mb download. checked config of every device, including ATT router, and rebooted everything, and redid tests. Everything ok. Ability to stream non-apple media just fine. Just downloading rented items from apple store.

Some combination of things that work doesn't work. Giving up on AppleTV for movies. Will use for Netflix and Hulu.

Jul 29, 2015 3:10 PM in response to RADumas

You need a proper network report to see the status of your local network. In some instances it can be related to ISP throttling. Of course checking a different network can be relevant as it will verify if the issue is related to your network.

Again, all those other services will adapt to the connection. iTunes content is fixed rate and needs to load a portion before playback begins. It is working just fine for most, when issues arise it will be most often be related to the network.

Aug 2, 2015 10:11 PM in response to RADumas

I've had a similar issue that only appeared in the past week. The download speed for my network is in the neighborhood of 349 mbps so I get a little peeved by Apples messages that imply I don't have the bandwidth to support 1080. I'm not dropping packets, Netflix and Amazon are just fine. The ATV is on my wireless network and I've had over a year of pretty good performance. I have found in the past that I had to specify DNS but it's not helping this time.

Apple TV movie downloads ridiculously slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.