Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp and windows 10 - have you upgraded?

Windows 10 is out today. I cannot find a thread on this yet . . . now that Windows 10 is out, has anyone using bootcamp tried the upgrade? If so, results or advice?

My Windows is still waiting for the download.

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:19 AM

40 replies

Jul 29, 2015 11:17 PM in response to AntonFX

I think the problem is consistency.

There are places on the Apple website that mention Win7 and Win8 alone, but BootCamp Assistant just says Windows 7 or later.......

By definition this means that it is applicable to Windows 10, so if all you do is expect Apple to spoon feed you, (which they seem to suggest they do), you'll not be prepared.

User uploaded file

Apple should update it.

Jul 30, 2015 12:29 AM in response to gumsie

the version of windows shown in boot camp assist is based on the version of OSX you have.. Mine says windows 8 but you can use windows 10 if you can find drivers for the hardware.. The ati D series of video cards is not currently supported or at least I was not able to make them work. if you upgraded and you shouldn't have you can always roll the system back to the previous windows OS. I think the note said it could be a while and you will not have access to the computer During the process.

Jul 30, 2015 1:16 AM in response to gumsie

gumsie wrote:

That's the point. If it isn't supported, (ie the required drivers aren't there), then it's misleading. That screen shot is from a MacPro 5,1 fully updated.

"Later..." is wishful thinking and subjective interpretation. The same line exists in many other places.

If Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support and System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support clearly indicate the following...

Supported versions of Windows

These are the supported versions of Windows(authentic, single, full-installation). Check the tables below to see which of these versions will work with your Mac.

• Windows XP: Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, Service Pack 1 or later (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5.1)
  • Windows 8: Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro (Boot Camp 5.1 only)

There is no mention of Windows 10.

Apple will not stop you if you want to throw your Apple device off of the Golden Gate Bridge. They will, instead, sell you a new one. 😉

Jul 30, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Kalìka

Kalìka wrote:

Installing it currently Mac Pro from downloaded ISO... worked fine on PC in the house no issues. Hopefully they will get some decent video card drivers for the D300 in windows.

Of course it worked fine on your PC. This thread is talking about installing Windows 10 on your Apple computer using Boot Camp. There are no Boot Camp Windows 10 drivers. Wait until Apple creates and releases the Windows 10 drivers.

Bootcamp and windows 10 - have you upgraded?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.