Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to update my mac but need 2GB of memory. It says I have 1 GB, how can I increase my memory?

I want to update my Mac OS X 10.6.8 but need 2GB of memory. It says I have 1 GB, how can I increase my memory?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 8:56 AM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2015 9:09 AM in response to andrewjames_B

You can try deleting apps/files/documents that you don't need or stuff that aren't necessary. I suggest you to use the app called '' Dr.Cleaner '' you can download it in the appstore. That app really helps you clearing out junk files and find files that have huge memory.

But if you have big files that are important to you, you can try transferring them to your USB. Your welcome 🙂

Jul 29, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Chester Jed Uson

Chester Jed Uson wrote:

You can try deleting apps/files/documents that you don't need or stuff that aren't necessary. I suggest you to use the app called '' Dr.Cleaner '' you can download it in the appstore. That app really helps you out clearing out junk files and find files that have huge memory.

But if you have big files that are important to you, you can try transferring them to your USB. Your welcome 🙂

You are misunderstanding what memory & storage are. Your answer is flat out wrong.

Memory or RAM is short term storage used for calculated data. It goes away when rebooting.

Storage is permanent & is used for the data & apps as you described them.

I'd also suggest you do some more research before recommending so called 'cleaning utilities' like Dr.Cleaner. These apps are often risky (they can delete system files) and generally worthless. This forum has many explanations why they should be avoided.

Jul 29, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Chester Jed Uson

Chester Jed Uson wrote:

I was just suggesting tips to increase memory. Dr.Cleaner will just remove junk files, it will not delete it right away, it will ask for permission before doing so.

But Dr. Cleaner does NOT increase memory. It merely frees up storage space by removing junk.

These are two different things.

Freeing storage space will do nothing to the actual memory. It will still be only 1GB.

The only way to get more memory is to buy more memory. Again this is different from storage space which is what Dr. Cleaner may be of help with.

I want to update my mac but need 2GB of memory. It says I have 1 GB, how can I increase my memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.