Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I restore backup from snapshot folder? It somehow goes into snapshot folder from my last backup.

PLease help. itunes can't read my backup, when I checked on appdata-roaming-apple computer-mobilesync-backup, the last backup contain snapshot folder with lots of files in it. I think it is my backup files, but how to make itunes read it? Hope you understand my questions and please somebody who knew the answer. Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 8:18 PM

Since Frendrick hasn't responded in 2+ years (and since I'm having exactly the same problem now), I'll chime in and hope for a response.

Here's what my situation looks like, using iTunes to try to restore from a local backup in Windows 10:

The folder named "Backup" contains a number of different backup folders, each with a long alphanumeric name.
One of those (let's call it BackupA) contains approximately 300 files (including two .plist files) with a date of 8/2016. It also contains a Status.plist file dated 9/2017 and one folder named "Snapshot". The Snapshot folder is ~20GB in size and contains 20,000+ files (but no .plist files), all dated 9/2017.
When I use iTunes to restore my new phone [old phone was backed up in 9/2017 but is dead and gone now] from BackupA, it restores (some? but not all?) data from 8/2016 but does not see ANY of the 9/2017 data in the Snapshot folder.

HOURS AND HOURS of time with Senior Technical Support at Apple has gotten me nowhere closer to resolving this. Any thoughts?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 8:18 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Since Frendrick hasn't responded in 2+ years (and since I'm having exactly the same problem now), I'll chime in and hope for a response.

Here's what my situation looks like, using iTunes to try to restore from a local backup in Windows 10:

The folder named "Backup" contains a number of different backup folders, each with a long alphanumeric name.
One of those (let's call it BackupA) contains approximately 300 files (including two .plist files) with a date of 8/2016. It also contains a Status.plist file dated 9/2017 and one folder named "Snapshot". The Snapshot folder is ~20GB in size and contains 20,000+ files (but no .plist files), all dated 9/2017.
When I use iTunes to restore my new phone [old phone was backed up in 9/2017 but is dead and gone now] from BackupA, it restores (some? but not all?) data from 8/2016 but does not see ANY of the 9/2017 data in the Snapshot folder.

HOURS AND HOURS of time with Senior Technical Support at Apple has gotten me nowhere closer to resolving this. Any thoughts?

Jul 29, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Frendrick

You cannot read the individual contents of the backup file. It is formatted as an encrypted SQLite file and contains data to restore the phone via iTunes. You would connect the phone to the computer and iTunes and then select the backup file to restore the device. You cannot restore individual portions of the backup file, you can only restore the entire file.

Jul 29, 2015 8:26 PM in response to Frendrick

Frendrick wrote:

The problem is itunes cannot detect this backup files. Then when I look up on the folder, the files were there but under the folder "snapshot". The one readable by itunes is not on the "snapshot" folder. I've tried copy it to the readable folder, but itunes detect error or not compatible.

What do you mean that iTunes cannot read the backup files? Are you trying to restore a backup? You connect the device to iTunes, select the device, then click on Restore backup. From there, you select the date you are trying to backup from. iTunes does not show you different folders, you just see a date and hit Restore. iTunes takes it from there. You do not need to change folders or anything like that. Please describe exactly how you are trying to restore your backup, or you can read the information in this support document about restoring your iPhone from a backup. Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

How can I restore backup from snapshot folder? It somehow goes into snapshot folder from my last backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.