Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to access Windows 7 shared folders

I know this is probably a Windows 7 issue, but I thought I'd post here for the **** of it. First, I am running OSX 10.9.5 on a mid 2011 mini. I modified it to use SMB1. On my Windows 7 box I have 2 external drives of different types. I have shared folders on an internal drive and on both external drives. I can successfully access the shares on the internal drive and one of the external drives, but when I try to access a shared folder on the other external drive I get the following:

"The operation can 't be completed because the original item for "SHARENAME" can't be found."

The share is listed in Finder I just can't open it. I tried recreating the folders and shares on the Windows box, but I still can't open the share. I have a second Windows 7 box and on that I can access the shares.

I also have a MacBook Pro running Yosemite and I can successfully access the shares.

Since I can access the shares on another Windows 7 box and on the MacBook Pro running Yosemite it seems like it might be a Mavericks issue.

Regarding SMB1, I found that connecting to Windows shares took a very long time. I came across an article that mentioned the following:

>>

The new SMB2 stack delivered with OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) often fails to connect to NAS devices or behaves strangely on server volumes, such as an inability to change file/folder names.

>>

One solution it suggested was changing the SMB stack. Using the following:

>>

echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

>>

I did try to access the shares using the original SMB stack, but still no luck.

So, anyone have a clue as to why I am having this problem.

Thanks

John

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 9:07 AM

1 reply

Unable to access Windows 7 shared folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.