Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

09 McBk pro shutting down on and/or off power cord

My macbook pro keeps shutting down while its on or off the power cord. I really have to mess with the power cord to get any kind of charge on the computer. I tried to run Apple diagnostics and it won't display. I'm wondering if its my power cord that is having the problems or if its something internal on the macbook. I had gotten a compatible cord a several months ago and it died after a few months, so now I'm using my old cord again. Its the L-shaped one. I'm worried if I get a new cord the computer might fry it, since I'm not sure if that's what happened with the other cord I purchased. I've tried several times now. I was wondering if this sounds like a simple issue to fix or if I should look into getting another computer.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:03 AM

7 replies

Jul 29, 2015 10:53 AM in response to VBallFanatic88

Check the contacts on the charger and the MBP. Look for dust. debris and discoloration. The pins on the charger cord fitting are spring loaded. Make certain that they move freely.

Did you use the installation disk with the Apple Hardware Test instructions on it to run the test? Try again.

Open System Information>power and post this from your MBP:

(make certain that the charger is connected)

User uploaded file

Ciao.

Jul 29, 2015 11:28 AM in response to VBallFanatic88

Macs do an automatic safety shutdown if inernal temps of critical components approach the danger zone--typically in teh vininity of 100C212F. Tha function is independent of the power source,

If it would run, Apple Diagnostics would check on the status of your fan/fans. As it won't run, I'd have a Apple Store or authorized service provider see if they can determine if the fans are working.

Jul 29, 2015 12:08 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

OK, so I checked the head of the cord for dust and debri and found none. I checked the computer where you plug the cord in too and nothing seems to be in the way there. I did a SMC reset and the battery appears to be charging now, the indicator light in the cord isn't on though. Also, I put the installation disk in and am running the AHT. Thanks for the help!

Jul 30, 2015 5:30 PM in response to VBallFanatic88

It appears to be charging better, but it shut down again the first time I used AHT. I got the scan to finish and it said there were no issues found. I did both tests, the short one and the long one. Also I have a SSD. Does the computer still have fans? Is it still possible for it to overheat? I shut the computer down after finishing the AHT and unplugged it for the night too.

09 McBk pro shutting down on and/or off power cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.