Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 MacBook pro wifi is slower than dial-up. When I download something it barely peaks over 5/6kbps

So I've had my MacBook pro for 3 years now and it works like a charm. I recently moved to Minneapolis, MN from Buffalo, NY. Now i moved into an apartment building and my wifi is dirt slow. Never peaking over 5 or 6 Kbps. my roommates have no problems they watch YouTube at 1080p, I'm just confused. Because as soon as I leave my apartment and go to school I have 2 mbs download speeds so I just need help! Haha I've also switched from Yosemite back to Mavericks no change ):

Thanks anyone that offers a suggestion

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:45 AM

4 replies

Jul 29, 2015 12:45 PM in response to ApolloSoul

Hold down the option key and select the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar. What values are shown for the following?

PHY Mode

Channel

Security

Signal/Noise or RSSI

Transmit (or Tx) Rate

Please do not post the BSSID, as that information is private.

Now hold down the option key again and select

 ▹ System Information... ▹ Network ▹ Wi-Fi

Compare the two-letter Country Code with the ISO code for your country. Does it match? The code X0 means that the country couldn't be determined. The code X3 means South America, not otherwise specified.

Jul 29, 2015 12:54 PM in response to ApolloSoul

that's annoying. you could go into airport and see what the channel is on your wifi, transmission speed, etc, and if it's 2.4 or 5Ghz. Please be aware that wifi signals are affected by what they have to travel through-lots of concrete and steel might slow 'em down. you could buy an Airport express or Extreme and extend the wireless signal. It may work with non-Apple wifi routers as well, but I've found that the airport stuff is the easiest to configure and figure out when stuff doesn't work like it should. You can also buy a wireless extender that plugs straight into the wall. Other than that, try repairing permissions in Disk Utility and zapping pram. shut down your MBP, hold down Command, Option, P and R Keys, then press power to reboot. keep holding down the command, Option,P and R keys for 3 "bongs" then let go , allow the computer to keep booting up. Hopefully that fixes something. Maybe your roommates have 802.111 ac?? I don't know.... You can also get a powerline adapter that comes in 2 parts. 1st gets connected to the router, 2nd gets connected to the wall power and sends wifi over power line in wall. also, for security try wpa 2, not wpa..and in case you're wondering, Yosemite 10.10 introduced a wifi bug, 10.10.4 fixed that bug

hope something helped

John B

2012 MacBook pro wifi is slower than dial-up. When I download something it barely peaks over 5/6kbps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.