Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated Quitting Application

My applications have started repeatedly quitting unexpectedly and not coming back. It requires a restart to make them work again. I just installed new RAM, it showing up perfectly well, there are 8 GB of it and the system tends to use about half so that can't be the problem. Could it be the hard drive? I am running permissions and verifications on Disk Utility, but does anyone have an idea of what causes applications to crash repeatedly? Also, it's been a really hot week, so it may just be that, even thought the laptop rarely gets above 50-60 degrees celsius.

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:13 AM

10 replies

Jul 29, 2015 12:47 PM in response to nsadeh

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Jul 29, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

I tried doing as you said, but hit a snag early on. When I try to access User & Groups in system preferences to create a new account (as I have Find my Mac on), system preferences gives me an error (this preferences pane could not be accessed). When I click OK on the error message then try again, system preferences spins out of control and is no longer responsive, and I have to force quit it.

Jul 29, 2015 1:38 PM in response to nsadeh

A new symptom; I just tried rebooting, but instead of rebooting, the laptop would flash between my screensaver and a black screen. I googled but could not find relevant info. Any ideas? Last time I opened it it looked like there may be some heat damage on the black cable that connects to the hard drive.

These seem like classic virus tell-tales, but I have run both Sophos and Malwarebytes recently. I'm starting to consider a reimage.

Jul 29, 2015 1:44 PM in response to nsadeh

All "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software is completely worthless, but that's not the cause of this problem.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Jul 29, 2015 2:04 PM in response to nsadeh

I was relying on your report that you couldn't boot in safe mode. If you did boot in safe mode, and the applications didn't crash, then see below.

Remove the Sophos product by following the instructions on this page, and also this one, if applicable. If you have a different version, the procedure may be different.

Back up all data before making any changes. Never install any "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software again.

Repeated Quitting Application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.