Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Windows 10, can no longer change Macbook display brightness?

Hey everyone. So I upgraded my Windows 7 partition on my Late 2011 15" MBP last night. After the upgrade, the laptop function keys wouldn't properly work - volume, keyboard backlight, and brightness.

So I reinstalled the Bootcamp drivers with the latest version, now the backlight and volume keys work properly. The one thing that doesn't, though, is the display brightness. It can't be changed. Pressing F1 or F2 displays the small Windows 8/10 style widget, and the slider moves, but nothing happens. Doesn't display the old Boot Camp Assistant widget, that still pops up for Keyboard backlight and volume.

Changing the brightness inside the control panel won't change anything either. Looked up the issue and found a similar issue in Windows 8, so I turned off the Adaptive Brightness option - nothing changed. Any tips? Already repaired the entire BCA.

MacBook Pro, Other OS, OS X Mavericks/Windows 10

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 10:29 AM

13 replies

Sep 5, 2015 5:58 PM in response to melleck

I ended up getting it to work. You have to uninstall the display driver (7400m in my case. Maybe different for you) in device manager. Choose to delete the driver. Then do a scan for hardware change and it should install the correct driver. Then download and run the:

"Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now. from Microsoft and select the video card driver you don't want windows update to install.

Page reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

This will prevent windows update from auto installing this particular driver but will continue to allow other updates to be installed.

Dave

Jul 29, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Loner T

Nope, nothing unidentified, especially under Monitors and Display Adapters.

May be worth mentioning though, both my Macbook display, and my second monitor (plugged in through the thunderbolt/display port) are both saying "Generic PnP Monitor" in the Monitors section of Device Manager. Don't remember if the Macbook display was labeled that back in Windows 7.

Aug 12, 2015 10:36 PM in response to Loner T

I have the same issue. Early 2011 MBP. reinstalled bootcamp drivers but still no brightness control.. I only have one monitor listed as Generic PNP Monitor.Using the F1 or F2 keys shows the brightness slider but as the slider goes up and down,no change in brightness. Going into display properties and sliding the slider manual has no effect either.

Dave

Aug 12, 2015 11:30 PM in response to Mechadude12

Hello, just reinstall Bootcamp and they will work again.

But for that, you have to find the installer first. I found using google, but seems bootcamp website does not leave it easy for post-2014 MacBook pro users to download.

You should find it on this address:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?locale=en_US

On this same kb article you'll find directions to download the proper version if your MacBook is an older one.

hope this helps

EDIT: after installing this version, the apple updater might offer you to install bootcamp6 with "better" windows 10 support (I didn't notice a single change), you can accept and install the ~1.2GB update. The installation on the link above sums up to 800MB.

Sep 5, 2015 7:06 AM in response to wolfman_4_ever

I am facing same issue the brightness bar goes up and down but there is no visible change in the brightness. I have tried disbling the adaptive brightness and automatic brightness settings but still it doesn't seem to work.

Please can someone help.

I did a fresh install on my macbook pro retina 13 inch using the latest bootcamp drivers. THanks

Jan 5, 2016 10:54 AM in response to Mechadude12

This seems to be a working solution:

-Search for and open "device manager" in cortana.

-uninstall the drivers for both display adapters and monitors.

-restart your computer.

Upon restart, windows automatically reinstalls the drivers and now your brightness controll should be working.

My original problem went beyond the keyboard brightness control: in my case, Windows actually didn't have a brightness slider and the button that changes the brightness by 25% (in the battery icon in the bottom right of the screen) was greyed out, so I couldn't even click it.

This seems to be a fairly common problem, as I quickly found this workaround solution via google.

Hope it helps!!

Upgraded to Windows 10, can no longer change Macbook display brightness?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.