Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 Mac Mini connected to mid 2011 iMac in Target Display Mode: can I use the iMac's keyboard & mouse for the Mac Mini?

I have a mid-2011 iMac 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4 GB memory running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I want to purchase a new Mac Mini, put the iMac in Target Display Mode and use the iMac as a monitor for the Mac Mini. If I do this, can I use the iMac's keyboard and mouse with both the iMac and the Mac Mini? Will I have audio and video when using the Mac Mini?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 1:45 PM

10 replies

Jul 30, 2015 5:21 AM in response to lllaass

I read all the information I could find online regarding using the Target Display Mode and one site said that two keyboards were necessary. Is this true? I have a lack of space and do not want two sets of keyboards & mice. How do I connect my iMac's wireless keyboard and mouse to the Mac Mini and toggle between the two? Thank you for your help with this.

Jul 30, 2015 6:36 AM in response to fanomac

When using Target Display mode the display computer's (iMac in your case) display and speakers receive signals from the Mini. The keyboard and mouse connected to the iMac do NOT control the Mini.

You do need a keyboard on the iMac to enter/exit Target Display Mode

Press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac that you want to use as a display.

Thus, if y do not want to use two KBs y will have move to the Mini the KB connected to the iMac after entering TDM.

Jul 31, 2015 8:32 AM in response to fanomac

I know you can get Logitech BT keyboards for Mac that have a switch that allows you to use it on two Macs (one at a time).

I do not know it they also make BT mice/trackpad with similar feature.

Regular BT keyboard and point device will not work with two devices since y can switch them except maybe bu turning off BT on one computer. However, then there is no way to turn it back on with only a BT device.

Logitech and other make wireless dongles and accompanying KB and pointing devices. Some can use one dongle for bot KB and pointing device. With those you can just move the dongle

Jul 31, 2015 8:46 AM in response to fanomac

fanomac wrote:

Both the keyboard & mouse are wireless with no USB plug-ins. Therefore, how do I connect my iMac's wireless keyboard & mouse to the Mac Mini and how do I reconnect them to the iMac afterwards? Is this possible? Thank you for your help.

Its possible, just not easy, and going back will be harder still.

After you set up Target Display Mode, and you can see your Mac Mini screen on the iMac, you will have to reset the Keyboard and mouse, and pair them with the Mini. That should not be too difficult. However, when you want to return to the iMac, you will be blind to what is going on on the iMac. So it won't be easy to repair them with it. If at all possible.

The easiest option is to buy a cheap usb keyboard and mouse combo. They do not need to be Apple branded at all.

2015 Mac Mini connected to mid 2011 iMac in Target Display Mode: can I use the iMac's keyboard & mouse for the Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.