Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite + Safari + YouTube = Not Working

Apple users with latest software can relate.

User uploaded file

I have the latest versions, OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 and Safari 8.0.7. and this is the result when you visit YouTube.

Obviously, I don't want to download Flash to my Mac because of reasons. I click on "Get the latest version of QuickTime" and the link (https://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/) brings a page that states "QuickTime is built into Mac OS X",and software update states that I have the latest version of QuickTime (10.4). It's a loop.

The only workaround I have is: Developer Tab > User Agent > Pick one of this:

Safari iOS 8.1 - iPhone

Safari iOS 8.1 - iPod Touch

Safari iOS 8.1 - iPad

The iPhone and iPod Touch options don't let you choose resolutions. The iPad option let you choose from 240p to 720p (no further), because it is a mobile version. I'm not sure why 1080p can't be a selection, because of iPhone 6 plus resolution, I don't know the reason behind it.

After you make the choose the page reload with the selected settings. If doesn't reload and redirect you automatically, you have to switch to mobile, press play and then choose the resolution (the option appears after you press play).

Resume: (TL:DR)

1. Go to: Developer > User Agent > Safari iOS 8.1 - iPad

2. Wait for automatic page reload

2.1 If don't redirect you to iPad mobile YouTube interface/page, click on mobile YouTube option (redirects you to m.youtube.com)

3. Press play to video

4. Change the resolution (max. 720p)

It's just a workaround that allows you to see YouTube videos at 720p as top resolution (despite the video it is available in 4K, 1080p for instance).

As far as I know, Apple just don't know how this happened nor how to fix it. I just hope any Apple worker can enlighten me.

PS: Excuse me if I have gramatical errors, english is not my native language.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 11:44 AM

YouTube content should stream in HTML 5 authomatically without Flash and you don't need QuickTime.

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Albert J. (Review)

YouTube content should stream in HTML 5 authomatically without Flash and you don't need QuickTime.

Might be a cookies, cache, extensions, or plug-ins issue.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, from the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Yosemite + Safari + YouTube = Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.