Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

frequent crashing - macbook air w/ Yosemite

Hi,

I have a macbook air, mid 2012 with yosemite (10.10.4). It starting crashing frequently recently. Sometimes with the power cord plugged in and battery fully charged, sometimes without plug. Sometimes it happens when I unplug the computer, other times, I'll be typing and it will just happen.

I upgraded to Yosemite a few weeks ago but this problem only started this week. I swapped out my battery a couple months ago. Fan sometimes is running but it's not feeling too hot (at least not now, when it just happened).

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 12:07 PM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Linc Davis

Sometimes it just blacks out immediately, and sometimes it's a soft fade to black, like it's going to sleep, but the result is the same. It's not asleep, it needs to reboot.

When it happens when the power cord is out, or when the power cord is pulled out, as soon as I plug the cord back in, it reboots automatically. If it happens when the power cord is already in, I have to hit the power button after a few secs and it reboots.

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2015 2:10 PM in response to pwroitjupoeighjpe49349

Those result codes have never been documented publicly, but that one probably means that the battery is faulty. It may or may not be accurate.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

frequent crashing - macbook air w/ Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.