Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enter Time Machine Backups after upgrading to OS X 10.10

I was running Mountain Lion, which I love, but my user folder had 200gigs of stuff in it and wouldn't tell me what was taking up all the space. So I decided to upgrade to Yosemite 10.10 and just migrate what I need over. I use Stickies for work password and quick notes. I try to copy it over and of course I can't replace or update the existing Stickies. Then I Google on how to bring it over and I need to find the StickiesDatabase which is in the hidden /library folder. I can't access that in my Time Machine back up. I try different options found on forums like open the Finder window where the new database is then go into TM. Nada. I have to leave that window to click on my TM to go into it so I lost that option. I can't for the life of my figure this out and its incredibly frustrating cause it should be sooooooo simple. But of course, since Jobs died, Apple's simplicity also died.

Any help?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2010 Macbook Pro 15" Yosmite 10.10

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 12:43 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2015 12:48 PM in response to schraffy

First, you need to reveal the hidden folder:

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

Jul 29, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

"was running Mountain Lion, which I love, but my user folder had 200gigs of stuff in it and wouldn't tell me what was taking up all the space. So I decided to upgrade to Yosemite 10.10 and just migrate what I need over."

I did a clean install on a brand new drive and only brought over what I needed. Since Apple wouldn't tell me what files made up the 200 gigs of material in my username folder, I didn't bring it over. I found out how to fix it.

Finder -> Go -> Go To Window and then I dragged my time machine backup file path into that window and ended with "/library" and it gave me a window for the ~/Library I was looking for.

Totally un-necessary to have to do all those work arounds in what should have been a 30 second process. Drag old Stickies to new Applications "Would you like to update with previous Stickies media. Yes/ No" That's all it should take.

Can't enter Time Machine Backups after upgrading to OS X 10.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.