Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete a downloaded IOS software update

I've accidentally downloaded IOS software update 8.4

It is now in the General>software update tab and says "Downloaded" and the option to "install now"

I do not want to do this update, as it would mess up a few apps installed on my ipad.

Now however I keep getting the message about updating the ipad.

How do i delete the downloaded IOS update?

I've checked in the General>Usage>Storage tabs of my ipad, and it isn't there...

where is it? and how do i delete it?

as i don't want it to accidentally start installing and making a few apps on my ipad that I need for work unusable

iPad Mini, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 1:26 PM

IT should be in Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage. Let everything load and you should see if in there. Give it time to load everything. It is close to 190MB, IIRC, so it should be in the top third of your list.

16 replies

Jul 29, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Demo

I'm pretty sure that you could NOT delete the iOS 7 OTA update when you were on iOS 6.x. The ability to delete the OTA update began when you were updated to iOS 7. Now I'm thinking that maybe the ability to delete the OTA update actually began with iOS 7.1.x...

To the OP: Are you actually on iOS 7.x as your signature states? If you are on iOS 6.x, you cannot delete the downloaded update.

Jul 29, 2015 2:21 PM in response to SimplySDV

Ok, if you've verified that you're on iOS 7.0.6 and that the downloaded update is NOT in your installed apps list under Settings/General/Usage/Storage/Manage Storage, then the ability to delete the auto-pushed download was likely not made available until iOS 7.1.x.

In that case, you have to update to iOS 8 now since there's no way to update to iOS 7.1.x. Seems as if you're stuck.

This is just plain bad practice by Apple, auto-pushing these updates regardless if the user wants them or not. 😐

EDIT: You DID scroll through the entire list of apps under Manage Storage, correct? Regardless, it should be near the top since apps are sorted in this list from large to small.

Jul 29, 2015 2:21 PM in response to SergZak

guess that's bad apple practise yea...

right the update needs the certain things to update, network connection / 50% battery and/or connected to a power source.

Would the ipad automatically start updating when it meets those requirements, or should i get a push notification before it would start..

next, would running the update, and then restoring the ipad back fix this and bring the IOS back to the current 7.0.6. Or would ios 8.4 still be on the ipad?

Jul 29, 2015 2:33 PM in response to SimplySDV

SimplySDV wrote:

guess that's bad apple practise yea...

right the update needs the certain things to update, network connection / 50% battery and/or connected to a power source.

Would the ipad automatically start updating when it meets those requirements, or should i get a push notification before it would start..

next, would running the update, and then restoring the ipad back fix this and bring the IOS back to the current 7.0.6. Or would ios 8.4 still be on the ipad?

The update will download when the device:

1. Is connected to external USB power (charger or PC/Mac USB port)

2. Has the required storage space to accept the downloaded update

3. Has a valid Wi-Fi/internet connection with a decent throughput (what that is, I have no idea)

The auto-pushed update is pushed to your device without your permission when the above requirements are met. You will get NO push notification (nor any other type of notification) before the update is downloaded. It will just "be there" when you least expect it...that's when you'll get notified that a new update is ready to be installed. Note that the update itself will never be installed automatically...you have to agree to the terms and conditions and have to actually tap the "Install" button for the update to take place.

Running the update, then restoring the iPad will NOT revert the iPad back to iOS 7.0.6. It will remain at iOS 8.4. Once an iOS version is flashed to the device, it will be at that iOS version until it's updated.

Delete a downloaded IOS software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.