Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need to keep emails on my mac if archive is enabled

Equipment: Macbook Pro and latest version of Yosemite.

I use gmail but have set it up some it comes into my macbook pro. I guess that means that macmail is the client.

I was just down at the Apple Store. I told them my mac was sluggish. the genius said "well, you have 6070 messages in your archive" I asked if I get rid of a lot of these archived messages will my mac run faster. and he said it would.

When I got home and did some research I found that Google says that archiving is better than deleting. OK, i want to do that---take the emails in the archive dated before 2 years ago and just delete them. If so, where do I do this: in gmail or on my mac? also, will trimming down the archive help on the mac side re making it less sluggish and more responsive? I mean, where do those archived emails live?

I'm pretty confused and disappointed in google support. and i don't know if the genius was giving me good advice.

does anybody have a handle on this? thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 2:12 PM

There are no replies.

do i need to keep emails on my mac if archive is enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.