Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to trigger the Windows 10 upgrade in Boot Camp?

Has anyone found a way to trigger the Windows 10 upgrade? I could re-install using an ISO, but I thought I'd give the built-in upgrade a try.

This trick worked on a Windows 7 laptop I have. It's not working in Win 8.1 Pro on my Mac, though.

Thank you. 🙂

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 32GB RAM

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 12:43 PM

8 replies

Aug 6, 2015 8:02 AM in response to butcherbird190

OK, so did it work for you? I tried to general release update from a valid win7 in bootcamp and got an error stating "Kernel security check failure.

What's up with that. (I just had to say that).

The windows site was of no immediate use.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

In the mean time I will investigate if I need a new set of drivers for OS X.

If anyone has advice on that, please let me know.

Thanks

Barry

Aug 6, 2015 5:43 PM in response to bholtzkener

Bottom line: no, the update did not work.

It was a while ago; so, I don't remember the exact error I received.

I ended up deleting the Boot Camp partition and installing Windows 10 Pro using the usual Boot Camp Assistant process. However, Windows 10 Pro is not accepting my activation key for Windows 8.1 Pro. As soon as I have some time, I am going to call Microsoft to see if they can help with the activation.

Has anyone had a successful upgrade in Boot Camp?

Aug 7, 2015 1:51 AM in response to butcherbird190

yeah I installed windows 7 64bit ultimate edition in bootcamp back in the day and upgraded from inside bootcamp first to window 8 digital download and later on ms app store upgrade to windows 8.1 and now media creation tool upgrade to windows 10

when it reboots all the times during the install one make sure to hold down the left alt key to make sure it does not boot into OS X which it is set to do by default

Aug 8, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Rudegar

OK, Here's my update.

I was able to load the windows drivers with bootcamp assistant. Obvious now that I think of it.

I retried the W10 install with NO changes and got one restart. it was a different BSoD with the Kernel Security Check Error 😟) message.

But it restarted several times in without going to OS X. (as others have reported this seems to be caused by USB devices)

Eventually W10 loaded and works to some extent.

There are more BSoD messages on restarting if USB devices are installed, but sometimes it's ok.

So onward and upward.

Thanks for oyur comments.

Barry

Aug 8, 2015 7:17 AM in response to bholtzkener

As Apple ignores Hackint0shs', so does M$ ignore Windows on a Mac. A user group uses both is left stranded in the cold. The 'random' BSoD's indicate timing issues in drivers. The Kernel Driver stack in W10 changed, which is now causing external devices, add-on PCIe drivers to malfunction. In quite a few cases, manually installing specifically drivers with Admin rights and compatibility set to W7/W8 seems to make the drivers behave much better.

Aug 8, 2015 7:56 AM in response to Rudegar

yeah I installed windows 7 64bit ultimate edition in bootcamp back in the day and upgraded from inside bootcamp first to window 8 digital download and later on ms app store upgrade to windows 8.1 and now media creation tool upgrade to windows 10

1.5 hour+ wait to talk to support this morning. ha, I'll just re-install Win 8.1 Pro & pray that "the gods olde & the new" smile on me with a successful upgrade. I am glad it worked for at least 1 person. 🙂

Any way to trigger the Windows 10 upgrade in Boot Camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.