Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad says "Not Charging"

HI guyz,

I have an iPad 4th Generation with iOS 8.3. I'm having an issue that when i plug my iPad to the wall socket it say "Not Charging" right after a little while when plugged in. I tried buying A new one but same error. What to do?

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 12:47 PM

9 replies

Jul 29, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Omer Shahzad

The "Not Charging" message is common when you are using a charger that does not provide the amount of power the iPad is expecting. Using an iPhone charger to charge a full size iPad for instance. Or using a charger that was not manufactured by Apple.

When that message appears the iPad may still be charging but at a somewhat slower rate than if the original charger that came with the iPad was used.

Jul 30, 2015 1:36 AM in response to Omer Shahzad

The power source is very limited and the iPad isn't receiving enough voltage to create a stable and steady charge rate, It will still charge but you'll notice that it will either charge extremely slow or it will slowly decrease battery life over time. If you have it plugged into a USB port on your computer or anything similar to a PC, that will be your problem because Most PC's other than Macs don't put out enough voltage through the USB Port. Macs are the only device that i know of that has enough voltage to successfully create a stable charge for the iPad. Now, if you have it plugged into a USB Transformer, or known as a wall charger, then either the wall charger your using doesn't supply enough amperage or it may be defective. That's what i can tell you from my experience and testing. Let me know if that fixes your problem! Best of Luck!

Jul 30, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Omer Shahzad

This points to an issue with the current being supplied by the wall socket, or an issue with the charger, or the cable.

Have you tried different wall sockets? In different places? If it reacts the same on different wall sockets, we can safely say its either the actual charger or the cable.

You could then attempt to borrow a charger from somebody and see if it will charge correctly with it. If it does, then one can safely assume its the charger, that has some type of issue, and you would need to get another one.

iPad says "Not Charging"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.