Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving Pages files creates folders on my desktop - how come?

I'm a Word user adjusting to Pages - I have questions!

When I save a Pages document to my desktop I get not only the document but a folder with subfolders containing index files, tables, and metadata. A new folder appears every time I save a document I’m working on.

In Word I would “save as” to make a new but similar document. It looks to me like the only way I can do this now is to create a duplicate and rename it, and that adds yet another folder on my desktop, which I have to delete.

I save a lot. In the course of writing these questions I created about six about ten extra folders on my desktop that I need to delete.

How can I stop this from happening?

Thanks!

Andy

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 3:28 PM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2015 4:53 PM in response to dulcimer

Pages v5 on Mavericks, and on Yosemite prior to Pages v5.5.2 will save its documents as Package folders that the OS X Finder presents to us as normal looking filenames. These will appear as folders when viewed in the Terminal, or via right-click and Show Package Contents. This package folder format was a preferences optional format for Pages '09, as the default was a single file format document.

The normal behavior when saving a Pages document to your Desktop, regardless of whether it is single file format, or a package folder is not to show you a blue folder icon, but rather the document icon.

At first, Word will create a folder, fill it with document specific files, and then zip compress this folder and rename it .docx — a single file. Pages v5.5.2 and later on OS X Yosemite now also create this single file format document.

Jul 29, 2015 5:03 PM in response to VikingOSX

I'm not talking about documents I create in Word. Maybe I didn't make that clear.! but I'm talking about new Pages files. At any rate, unless I'm misunderstanding, the behavior is exactly the opposite of what you describe. I get blue folder icons.

i just upgraded to the latest version of Yosemite so I imagine I have the latest version of Pages, too. I don't know the version numbers, off the top of my head. I can check tomorrow if you think it makes a difference.

thanks

Jul 29, 2015 5:52 PM in response to dulcimer

I knew exactly what you were talking about, and simply cited how Word constructs its .docx documents. Under no circumstances should you be seeing Pages documents as blue folder icons. There is no setting in Pages (any version) or Finder to make Pages documents look like folders.

For the document that appears on your Desktop as a folder, do a Get Info (select the icon, and press command-I). In the Open with section of that info panel, what is the current default Application shown to open that folder?

Also, in the Get Info Name and Extension section, is the document extension strictly .pages, or are there extra characters trailing the normal .pages extension. If so, you can remove that extra rubbish from behind the .pages extension and the document will revert from folder to package folder as normal. I have also read that this issue can occur by uploading an uncompressed Pages package folder document to Dropbox, and then moving it back from Dropbox onto the Mac.

Saving Pages files creates folders on my desktop - how come?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.