Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware and Apple Support

When I open Safari I am getting a message that I may be infected with Adware and to call Apple support at 877-446-1474 immediately. Is this legitimate?-

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 1:39 PM

No!

Force quit Safari using the Command + Option + Esc keyboard shortcut then relaunch Safari.

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 4:09 PM in response to kfoster91950

It's a Web scam that only affects your browser, and only temporarily. There are several ways to recover.

1. If you're running Safari 8.0.7 or later and you see a dialog with the message “Don’t show more alerts from this webpage,” check the box and click OK.

2. If no other tabs or windows are open, or if you don't mind losing those tabs or windows, force quit Safari. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock.

The following steps may enable you to keep the state of other open tabs and windows.

3. Press the key combination command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

4. Press and hold command-W. You may hear repeating alert sounds. While holding the keys, click the OK button in the popup. A different popup may appear, which you can cancel out of as usual.

5. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, go to Step 2.

After closing the malicious page, select from the menu bar

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Adware and Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.