Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch 6th gen charging slowly while using Music

Hello,

This question is about an iPod touch 6th gen (128GB) running iOS 8.4. I am trying to charge it using an AC adapter. This works fine as long as nothing is running on the iPod. However if I'm running the Music app to listen to music, I've noticed that the iPod seems to not charge -- I can have it plugged in with music playing for several hours, and the green battery bar doesn't move (or perhaps it moves very slowly). The bar is green and the lightning bolt is displayed to the right of the bar, so it's definitely connected.

I've just tried stopping my music and just letting the iPod sit "idle" while charging, and now it seems to be charging at a normal rate. Of course it's difficult to tell because there's no way to show battery percentage, but I believe the green bar is a few pixels fatter.

I use this exact same AC adapter to charge an iPhone 5c (running iOS 7.1.2) while listening to music, and it doesn't have this problem. I've also used the exact same adapter to charge an iPod touch 5th gen (running iOS 7.1.2, I think -- some version of 7 anyway) while listening to music, and it also doesn't have this problem.

I don't know if it's just the Music app that causes this problem, possibly other active apps would do the same thing.

All the devices have the same settings -- the screen blanks after some number of minutes of inactivity, even when plugged in.

Has anyone else seen this slow/nonexistent charging behavior? Not sure if it's an iPod touch 6th gen issue or an iOS 8.4 issue, since both of those things are new to me.

Thanks,

-Jason

Message was edited by: jasoniv (fixing typos)

iPod touch, iOS 8.4, 6th gen, 128GB

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 2:06 PM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks for the reply. About the battery percentage, I don't see anything under Settings > General > Usage. For my iPhone (5c running iOS 7) this is where the Percentage toggle is found, but the iPod touch doesn't seem to have this. Or is it located somewhere else?

I should have mentioned that all my music is local. The wifi is not turned on. So unless iOS 8's Music app is doing something much heavier than iOS 7's Music app, I don't see why playing music should be such a battery drain.

Jul 29, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Rysz

There is no Setting to show % battery in an iPod, % battery is.iPhone and iPad only

Rysz wrote:

You can choose to display the battery charge level as a percentage in Settings.

Music is not just playing songs, but it's also streaming the songs down and uploading your ratings, etc. I don't think there's anything strange in the iPhone charging slowly when you're in Music.

iPod touch 6th gen charging slowly while using Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.