Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch won't restore from backup because "software is too old"

EDIT: I've removed some references to the "the next version of iOS" because mentioning it prevented me from getting answers. This is not a software beta issue.

Help!

After downgrading from the iOS Public Beta, I've made sure I followed every step in the procedure.

> I backed up my iPod touch

> I've downloaded the iOS 8.4 IPSW

> I've already restored the software in DFU mode

HOWEVER....

When I was setting up the iPod touch, it can't seem to restore from the backup because iTunes says the iPod touch software is "too old" even if I'm clearly in iOS 8.4. I tried so many times to restore the software so that the iPod software is on iOS 8.4, and even restore the iPod touch as new, but until now the same message shows up! The iPod touch software is still "too old"! Please help!

I don't know if there is another way around this, or maybe I should just go back and re-update my iPod touch to the public beta, will that give it a shot? (I just thought maybe the backup was designed for "public beta firmware" [aka, the beta] that it considered my backup "too old").

Other notes:

> When I try to restore the backup in the summary tab (previously), the backup doesn't show up.

> My iPod touch is still here and stuck in the "backup of "device name" cannot be restored to this iPod because software on the iPod is too old"

Please help ASAP! Please tell me there's a way, there's got to be a way! 😟

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I've removed some references to the "the next version of iOS" because mentioning it prevented me from getting answers

iPod touch, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 6:39 AM

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! 🙂

I've sorted the problem myself!

For those of you who have the same problem, it's highly likely because you did not archive the backup. The solution to mine was to re-update back to iOS 9 Public Beta because my last backup overwrote the iOS 8.4 backup, that way the backup only works with the iOS 9 Public Beta. 🙂

Before updating to the Public Beta, make sure to archive your last backup in iOS 8 to make sure a future iOS 9 Public Beta backup won't overwrite your data in case you want to downgrade.

>> You don't have a chance to go back to the previous version of iOS when your backup isn't archived. For me, my only option is to stay in the beta process with the issues and wait for the stable release of iOS 9. Or, you can restore your device as new, but this removes all of your content from your previous device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Hirodashi10

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! 🙂

I've sorted the problem myself!

For those of you who have the same problem, it's highly likely because you did not archive the backup. The solution to mine was to re-update back to iOS 9 Public Beta because my last backup overwrote the iOS 8.4 backup, that way the backup only works with the iOS 9 Public Beta. 🙂

Before updating to the Public Beta, make sure to archive your last backup in iOS 8 to make sure a future iOS 9 Public Beta backup won't overwrite your data in case you want to downgrade.

>> You don't have a chance to go back to the previous version of iOS when your backup isn't archived. For me, my only option is to stay in the beta process with the issues and wait for the stable release of iOS 9. Or, you can restore your device as new, but this removes all of your content from your previous device.

iPod touch won't restore from backup because "software is too old"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.