Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Question

I currently have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro (750 Gb Hard Drive), and im now looking to get a new macbook air (128gb). I have 400 gb of stuff on my laptop now and im wondering if i bought a time capsule could i put everything from the old macbook on the time capsule and just put what i wanted to put on my new laptop? Like my music and documents and then keep stuff that i dont use as often on the time capsule ?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 2:31 PM

7 replies

Jul 29, 2015 2:51 PM in response to jcannin1141

The Time Capsule was designed for your backups......not "active" files and especially not "working" libraries.

Even if you decide to use the Time Capsule in a non-recommended way, keep in mind that you will have "original" or "master" files on the Time Capsule.

Have you given thought to how you would then back up the original files that are on the Time Capsule?

A much better plan, as Niel points out above.......would be to connect a USB or Thunderbolt drive to your Mac and put the files that you need there. Then, your Time Capsule will be able to back up both your Mac and the attached hard drive.

So, you have "originals" at one location and "backups" at another. That is a minimum backup plan. Most of us who value our data have more than one backup.

Jul 29, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Not really, I just need a way to keep everything from my old laptop and still be able to use it on my new one. Could I back up my old laptop to the time capsule and still access it from the new MacBook ? i thought just putting all that on a time capsule would be a good idea but now I'm thinking it's not. Any ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 29, 2015 2:54 PM in response to jcannin1141

Any ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Check my revise post above and also Niel's posts.....all of which are advising that you should use a regular drive to store your data and use the Time Capsule only for backups.

Please think a bit more about your backup plan. If you don't have backups......you will lose your data. The only question is when.

Time Capsule Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.