Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Logic Pro 10.0.7 to recognize an AudioFront MIDI Expression as a control surface?

I'm running Logic 10.0.7 on a Macbook Pro running Mavericks OS 10.9.5. I have 3 MIDI control surfaces attached via USB - a Kawai VPC 1, a Kork NanoKontrol 2, and an AudioFront MIDI Expression interface with a Yamaha FC7 volume pedal attached. The MIDI Expression is setup properly, recognized in Audio/MIDI Setup, works in the AudioFront Control Software, but does not work as a volume pedal in Logic. I want to assign MIDI CC# 7 (volume) to it, but can't find it in the scanned items as a control surface. How do I get Logic to recognize the MIDI Expression as a volume control? Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 2:45 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2015 4:41 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thank you for this suggestion. Actually, AudioFront was the first entity I contacted about this. I received 2 quick email responses, the last claiming since the unit is recognized in their Control Panel it must be due to something else. Have not heard back since they're 2nd response this morning. I'll try to engage them again, but the last correspondence doesn't leave me hopeful.

Jul 29, 2015 5:22 PM in response to pianimator

If I understand how the AF EX works,... I think it should just send Midi CCs once set up correctly and CC is selected in the AF EX's config utility.... and Logic simply reads all incoming midi data and records it like anything else, midi wise..

To test, download Snoize's free Midi Monitor...

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Then move the pedal up and down and see if Snoize sees anything.... If it doesn't then the AF EX is not sending Midi CCs correctly.... or it is not configured correctly.... or its not sensing your pedal correctly...or it is not setup correctly in the OS X Audio / Midi utility.

If it does see CCs being sent.... then in Logic, create a new project... create a new Software Instrument track... instigate a software instrument plugin in that track...and click on record.. Now move the pedal.... up and down... and after a couple of bars click stop. Now look at the Event List and see if Logic recorded the incoming CC data. You should find some there.

Jul 30, 2015 4:35 AM in response to pianimator

I removed the MIDI Expression pedal from a USB Hub and plugged straight into my computer and it's now working properly. Sorry about the confusion. It was working properly when plugged into the hub for awhile, but perhaps the connection was corrupted some way. I'm still confused, because the MIDI Expression Control Panel software showed it working properly while plugged into the hub, but Logic was not recognizing it.

Thanks for your quick responses and help!

How do I get Logic Pro 10.0.7 to recognize an AudioFront MIDI Expression as a control surface?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.