Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warranty question

I bought a MacBook Pro 5 month ago. I have had a few issues with it. This is my first apple product and I only bought it because everybody said its amazing. Now my Trackpad is not working. They said its a hardware issue and it needs repair. It is still under warranty. I am wondering is it typical for Apple not to replace their products? I mean this was expensive and I should not have to repair anything this soon. Is there any loopholes anybody know? I am very dissatisfied with apple at this point.

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 5:53 PM

9 replies

Jul 29, 2015 5:59 PM in response to Sefora83

Since its under warranty, take it to an Apple store, and they will repair it for free.

Are you saying you expect Apple to replace the entire computer?

They may do that if they find the fault to be severe enough to warrant a full replacement. If under warranty, and attributable to the manufacturing process they will even do it for free as well. Otherwise they will repair whatever is wrong.

What exactly is the complaint here?

Jul 29, 2015 6:07 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Im sorry "they" is apple" well IDK I guess for what I paid I didn't expect to have to fix an hardware issue after 5 month that doesn't sound crazy to you guys? I mean I like the Mac its a nice laptop but....after all I heard I guess I didn't expect this. I work on my computer and I am a student I cant just give them my computer for a couple of days.....I just feel like this should not have happened not for the price I paid. I mean I bought it on Feb. 28th thats not ok....I did not read the warranty and thats my fault but when I bought it the sales guy swore up and down that this product is built to last me 10 years.....I don't know a whole lot about electronics so I figured I buy something solid....and I cant just sell it because I will lose money on it.....would you pay the full price if its not working correctly?!

Jul 29, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Sefora83

Devices can fail. Consider the number of these devices being manufactured and sold, things can happen. Just because it happened to you does not mean that Apple products are junk. I bought a brand new HP desktop a few years ago. It was shipped to my home, I plugged it in and started to configure it. After the initial configuration it shut down to reboot, and when it rebooted, one half of the RAM memory failed. I had to take it to the local HP warranty provider and have the memory replaced. Problem was, they did not have the memory in stock and had to order it to get it the next day. The repaired the device and I got it back. While it was difficult to be without the device for a couple of days, since I had already gotten rid of my other desktop, I survived. Was I upset, somewhat. Did it change my opinion of HP, no. I've purchased 5 more HP devices since then. The repair cost me absolutly nothing and the device worked just fine after that. You need to understand that things happen, and they are standing behind it by repairing it for nothing under warranty.

Jul 29, 2015 6:24 PM in response to Sefora83

Nothing in this world is perfect. Yes it ***** that the touch pad developed issues so soon after purchase, but it happens, devices can have issues. It will happen with anything, and any brand.

The good thing is they will fix it for free under warranty. The reason Apple is so highly regarded is not because they sell perfect products (that's impossible), but because they stand behind their products. If they fail they will repair or replace them for free under warranty. As is the case here.

Its bad luck for you, but one incident should not determine how you feel about a brand much less one that sells as many devices as Apple does. Odds dictate at some point one is going to be a lemon. That does not mean quality is bad, or worst than other brands. Its just bad luck.

Warranty question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.