Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing with new PC

A lot of the information provided here seems to be outdated and since it's 2015 and I'm still using an iPod Touch 4th Gen, I apparently need to submit a whole new topic.

I recently purchased a newer, much faster desktop and would like to sync my iPod with this new system. I have an awful lot of music that I purchased/downloaded from other sources (Google, artist sites, SoundCloud, etc) and would hate to lose them and need to re-download everything.

What steps and/or programs can I take/use to get this done? I've tried programs like PodShare, SoftTouch, etc and they either crash or have a ridiculous limit imposed; many other programs listed in support topics were outdated or no longer supported.

For the record, I am using Windows 8.1 for my new system.

Thanks!

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3, null

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 5:58 PM

6 replies

Jul 29, 2015 6:09 PM in response to Orbit Storm

You should be able to put all of you music into your iTunes library and then sync the iPod. It doesn't require additional programs or things like that. Information about syncing hasn't really changed, so I'm still not sure why you believe it is outdated. Add the content to your iTunes librar, connect the iPod, determine what you want to sync and sync.

Jul 29, 2015 6:17 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Syncing an iPod with a new system without having backups of non-iTunes purchased music would erase that music, no? Or has that been changed over the years?

My previous system does not have backups of third-party music. Bad practice, I know but the HDD wasn't very big. This new system DOES have a backup HDD but I still need to transfer the third-party music off of the iPod so I don't lose it when I sync on a new PC. I'm well aware that music I have purchased via iTunes can be downloaded again without an issue, it's just that about a third of the music I have was downloaded from other sites.

Jul 29, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Orbit Storm

Well you never identified that the only place your music existed was on the iPod. Yes, that is a very poor practice. The iPod Touch is not a backup device, and had anything occurred to the device, you would have lost everything. Now you do need to get 3rd party software to get the music off the device and into iTunes. See this ASC User provided tip from someone that knows a great deal about iTunes and Windows. That should help. Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

Syncing with new PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.