Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In order to improve security i would like to rename my wireless network and change the password. How do I proceed without disrupting service?

In order to improve security i would like to rename my wireless network and change the password. How do I proceed without disrupting service?

iMac

Posted on Jul 29, 2015 7:06 PM

3 replies

Jul 29, 2015 7:28 PM in response to oldraj22

Not quite sure what you mean by "disrupting service".

If you do change the name of the wireless network and the password, then every wireless device that normally connects to the network will have to start over and select the name of the new network, and enter the password for the new network in order to connect to the new network.

If you want to proceed.......

We assume that you have an Apple router, correct?

We do need to know what operating system that you are using on your iMac in order to provide the correct steps to do what you want.

Jul 30, 2015 1:09 PM in response to oldraj22

On your Mac.......

Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Next to Wireless Network Name......Edit as needed as you wish

Next to Wireless Password.......Edit the password as you wish

Next to Verify Password.......Edit again to confirm the new password

Click Update at the lower right of the window and give the AirPort Extreme a full minute to restart

User uploaded file

Once the AirPort Extreme has been updated, you will need to perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort Express by holding in the reset button for 7-8 seconds, releasing, and allowing a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Then, the AirPort Express will need to be set up again to connect to your new network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.